Yeay my gear box broke. What to do about clutch?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by G60Chubb, Nov 25, 2009.

1. G60Chubb Forum Member

As I was driving home yesterday and my diff chose to throw a pin through the bell housing weeing gear oil on to the road and all over my new clutch with only about 600 miles on it. Can I clean off the gear oil from my clutch plate or am I needing to saw my arm and leg of to buy another clutch kit aswell as gear box I'm buying. Form a happy happy chap with another broken car to fix!
    Cheers all.

2. alexisblades99 Forum Member

don't know if this helps, but when the diff seals on my truck went (1976 dodge k850) i boiled the brake shoes in detergent solution, then baked them dry in the oven.
    stank the place out but cleaned them up a treat!

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Soak it in petrol then light it up(it works, but it's upto you)

Or give it a good soaking in a de-greaser like panel wipe, over and over.

4. G60Chubb Forum Member

Hmmm interesting ideas perhaps I might try them. I've also been told of a substance used back in the day called fuller's earth father says it's what used for this type of problem.

5. alexisblades99 Forum Member

soaking it in petrol and lighting it sounds like more fun

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I believe TSC recommends half petrol, half diesel, for the clutch bonfire. I've also been told that a strong bio washing powder solution will work, if you soak it for a while, and change the soaking solution a few times.

From personal experience, it's not worth wasting a day changing the clutch a second time. I've seen a clutch that was dry to touch, but sweated out oil after a couple of miles of test driving. Result was a wasted day. If in doubt, change it.

7. G60Chubb Forum Member

If it doesn't work I don't mind having to take the box out again. I'm a bit of a stinge so it would be worth trying, plus I'm getting quiet good at this gear box lark this will be the 4th one in the last month not all mine been doing work for freinds plus I have another t4 one to do after this.
    Think a trip to the petrol station will be in order this weekend.

8. G60Chubb Forum Member

I bit the bullet and got a clutch I've got 195ft/lb torque to use i'd hate to waste it. plus got a LUK rep set pro for 75 at my local parts dudes so nay bother. But I might do the clutch bonfire just to see how well it works.
    Cheers all for your help

9. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Enjoy the t4 clutch, suspension off and a transmission jack (whatever that is) needed when my local garage did mine. Luckily they had quoted as per Passat price and stuck to it, bless 'em.

The conversation when I wandered up at lunchtime to see how it was going went as follows:-

Mark - hi Nick, we've dropped a b*ll*ck
    Me - whose?
    Mark - mine
    Me - oh, how much more will that cost me?
    Mark - no, it's my b*ll*ck we dropped...

Hope you have a better time!

10. mk28vICED Forum Member

copious amounts of brake fluid can help clean the clutch, it might slip for abit but mine came back to life after a 100 miles.