yes another clutch slipping! - any ideas

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by keith_lemon, May 2, 2007.

1. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    right i had a clucth fitted in october 2005 a proper luk one by a mechanic with 30 yrs experience etc etc (ex`s dad)......

now over the weekend on a short hop of 650miles i developed an oil leak from my rocker cover, which inevitably ended up i think in the clutch - (i think)......

although however, this new clutch that was fitted had never been a head jerker if u get me, it never allowed a wheel spin in first or spin up hill in the wet when going to second!!! thought nothing of it till i drove another 8v mk2 on the weekend after the slipping incident.....

so what im thinking is, while the mechanic man of 30 years changed the clutch and the cable to a manual adjust could he have not adjusted it correctly? meaning it has mildly been slipping for almost two years and about 26k miles - and i had not noticed and was oblivious!?!, then this small ammount of oil has just sent it to heaven?.....

does my theory sound ok, and should i order a black diamond kit now! - also i know i will need a release rod seal/input shaft seal and crank oil seal..... aanything else i should get while im there - OH AND A ROCKER COVER GASKET haha

cheers for ur time

2. paul_c Forum Member

It would make sense to adjust the cable, so that you can eliminate that from your enquiries. Its a 1 spanner-rated job!

3. Seraph Banned

self adjusting cable surely

4. paul_c Forum Member

5. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

yeah have adjustedthe cable a lot over the last week,now bites lower.....

still slipping - ordered new clutch for fitting friday afternoon - only reason i got her dad to do it was cos i was going through a lazy patch!

6. Seraph Banned

oops [:$]

7. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

ha! even the best of us do it......

anyways, do u think the flywheel will be fubar?

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

if it's the 020 box (rod change) the input seal when warm pumps oil direct onto the friction plate

I'd take it out, do the input seal and debate how soaked the clutch plate is- likely to need one

9. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

yeah ordered all the seals and that - but just been offered a techniclutch........heavy duty organic clutch...

anygood?