What air filter for Jenvey ITBS

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by altern8, Jun 10, 2008.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

I saw Rob's post about differnt filters so I thought I would ask what seems to be the better filter for Jenveys?

What gives more power and what gives less noise?

Cheers

2. Dub Nutta Forum Member

ITG megaflow will give you a gain in power over socks which are crap! however for noise an airbox is your best bet if youre struggling. Its usually the cams that make the noise so as long as ur under 285 ish u shud be ok

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

for noise you are screwed with tbs without an airbox - lots of trackdays will be out of bounds especially if they take drive-by readings

as already said, filter socks are not great but a better solution than nothing at all if you have no space

I have gone back to a big JC70 ITG filter as I cannot get an airbox to work properly on my car with the space available - donny is out of bounds now (as would be many others like goodwood, bedford etc)

the JC70 is a very thin filter originally designed for the DFV F1 engine - you wouldn't want it on a car used everyday

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Why not run a remote filter? there is a guy in the tim steels modding your gti book who has a 20vt running throttle bodies, and he has the set up I would use, a sealed air box with a monster cone filter offset to one side. this way you maxamise filter surface area and also it means that your trumpets are not close to any surface that will create bad airflow into them.

Ill see if i can find a pic later, and im glad its not just me who thinks socks are useless [:$] i thought i was on my own for that having walked round some shows.

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I know this car, a Mk1 with a 20V atmo beast of an engine - Mad20V's off here - and yes thats a good setup.

I am fully aware that an airbox with a remote filter is a good idea in theory. I have had this setup on my car and messed about for quite some time to get it as good as I can.

But on my car, a seat ibiza, there is not as much under-bonnet room as in a golf - and this is made worse by my use of DTH bodies that point the rampipes at the underside of the bonnet rather than the back of the rad area - the bonnet slopes steeply on an ibiza and really cuts back on the room that you have to play with. Thus.....the only airbox I ever managed to fit was probably not big enough and you could tell - my top speed figs at sprints were down by as much as 5mph and thats down to power

Mad20V did not run DTH bodies so had more room for the airbox. I like the instant throttle response offered by DTH bodies so are sticking with them and I have to work round the concequences of that.

so I have gone back to noisy dome filter and some air scoops to feed it - it must be fairly ok as I just had a remap and got 248hp ! not bad from a valver and not far off what Mad20V got from his mega motor I would think

Back at Aintree for some top speed readings in about 3 weeks time so we will see if it worked.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  6. prof Forum Addict

any pics of current setup Rob

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie