020 gearbox leak (reverse idler bolt)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Wilf Smallridge, May 1, 2024.

1. Wilf Smallridge New Member

Hello I wonder if anyone can advise me on the 020 gearbox! There is a gearbox oil drip coming from the torx screw at the bottom of my gearbox which I believe is the reverse idler bolt. Does anyone know if these can be removed so I can clean and put a bit of sealer on here. I am afraid of pulling it out in case the reverse idler drops out of its hole inside the box leading to a full box removal and disassembly just for a tiny drip !

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

3. Wilf Smallridge New Member

thanks zender for the quick reply Brokes guide is awesome. Looks like when he shows removal there is some wiggling and pulling involved in getting it out however I still don’t think I will be risking it as seems like the penalty for failure is mortifyingly high ! Unless anyone has tried it before with the box in the car and reckons it’s fine I will probably just try and slacken it off a little and see if I can squeeze a little sealant in before nipping it up !