230+bhp from 16v???

Discussion in '16-valve' started by 16valver, Sep 20, 2005.

1. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

sounds like a interesting project, i hope you keep us up to date with it!!

where about are u going to be compeating?

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

They'd be quicker with a slower engine ? yeh right :lol: this is a beaut of an engine, really drivable, loads of midrange, ticks over, pleasent in town (if it was not for the clutch) - thats what management and TB's gets you - yes its more expensive than carbs but the drivability is miles better. This is not by any means a touring car spec engine - 290hp+ - these are peaky with narrow powerbands but thats as far away from my motor as mine is from a stock lump.

A mate of mine who also hillclimbs is after a new engine and this sounds like what he is after - PM me details of where it is please, ta

Rob
    Edited by: RobT

4. H8SV8S Forum Member

Even so, people don't realise how quick a built 16v will rev [when matched to the right gearbox].

Even with 309/314 cams, full throttle at 4,000rpm will spin straight up to peak power zone at 7,000 - 10,000rpm in a flash :p

A fully built motor is so light that the torque loss hardly matters in the end.

With stock 02A ratios or final drive, it's a different story, though [:s]

5. H8SV8S Forum Member

P.S. If you're serious about getting the motor built, try Van Kronenburg in Holland or Bauer Motorsport in Germany ;)

6. 16valver Forum Member

Cheers for the info guys. Well done rob T, impressive.Sowhat channels did you go through to get hold ofyour engine?Are there any ways of getting hold of ex berg cup engines?

It is for the brittish sprintand hillclimbs. The car is pretty much ready for next season, as long askeep it in one piece at knockhill this Oct. It is plenty quick at the moment, its just the itching I am getting todo something drastic over the winter!:lol:

There is a caterham with an XE that mymate and his dad runson the hills, its a swindon engine,even thoughit is built for torque, still put out 250BHP -cant think what torque it is making off the top of my head. Is usually just behind the oms single seaters and a way in front of the R500's and westfield hyabusa's.

I will just save for next season, run the car and maybe this time next year see what happens.

7. 16valver Forum Member

Cheers H8SV8S. Will give them a call. Im guessing they speak English no problem?

Cheers.

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Swindon make mega engines, upto tourer spec - big cost but they perform.

I got mine from talking to guys who run old Ralt F3 cars for sprinting and hillclimbing - these run VW 8V engines and were built by serious engine builders back when they were running in circuit F3. One contact led to another, and to another (VERY serious engine builder - ex-F1 experience) - and eventually I ended up talking to a chap in Holland who builds a lot of rallycross motors - and does 2L 16V'ers upto 560hp spec - as fitted to a 4wd skoda rallycross car. So you just got to get out there and talk to people at race meetings - thats where it happens. Please excuse the somewhat guarded nature of my response but these chaps dont suffer fools readily and the last thing I want is for some muppet who is after 'a well bangin engine for me show car' ringing them up.

Cheers

Rob

9. 16valver Forum Member

No problem at all Rob, there was much more info there than I thought you would give. Sound advice. After being arounda lot of the proper "race" boys you realise the world of difference between race cars and road cars.

I

10. prof Forum Addict

11. Dogwood Forum Member

Have a look on kwl-motorsport.de.
    They have a 235bhp 2 litre 16v for sale for 9k euros complete.

Edited by: Dogwood

12. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

yea man but iz it loud man... you wiv me yea?

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Where do I sign? I iz wantin one too - I as been polishin at the weekend, smooved the engine bay, and it's time to remove the 1 litre 'airdryer.

Edit: I's also wantin' a flamer kit
    Edited by: Chris Eyre

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Iz that yourz 'airbrush after comin' ya gingin' syrup ?

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Que? Listen boss, I skippd skool so I is not knowin' what you is bangin on about.

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

ok...slowly for the afflicted.....there is a brush on your windscreen that is reddish in colour....is that the hairbrush you use to comb that lovely classy ginger toupe that suits you (ooh sir...does it ? oooh) so well ?

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Does that come wiv a dump valve, powa rohr, and big alt to drive me amps an subs, innit?!

20. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

laff my fecking head off... LMAO.. :lol: :lol:
    you guys crack me up..
    what did you drink in Belgium..??

Aiii indeed..