26/08/17 *post 262* Toyotec's 'JENVEE'. The 6 speed era

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Toyotec, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Err...I can always calibrate flames and exhaust popping on lift off on JORAN :p

2. Toyotec

Yea!! Multiple quotes work! Just the site to stop crashing!

Cheers. Next time you are coming down here let me know. You are welcome to take it for a blat.

I am happy to one car or so but not for commercial gain.

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Love the thread tags Ed!

4. Toyotec

Got to be done matey...:p

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I mean in terms of making it available to the common man of clubgti for those who might not be able to get to the tame MS expert...

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

How can you self optimise an ABF on digi without calibration tools?

All you could do is make sure all components (sensors etc) are working correctly and engine is serviced well.

Doubt theres much else you could do.

7. Toyotec

It takes many hours, in all sorts of conditions, to, build, create, refine, and tune a calibration. It is not just WOT power and torque. While I may have significant understanding of calibration/ABF powertrain to deliver JORAN's performance feel to any other ABF powertrain, I prefer to use this skill to show others, what they too can achieve, in the form of experiments and even demos.
    So more educational rather than commerical.
    I am also happy to help others who are willing to help themselves, and Megasquirt ECUs provide a good teaching basis to introduce willing parties to real calibration.

The ECU eprom stuff can be and has been done. If you need to know more please send me a PM or call.

As Ben said JORAN is an example of what a bespoke ABF calibration can feel like and an alternative path to increased performance by electronic control tuning, rather than mechanically altering the engine.
    The same engine, with a matching calibration in a vehicle like vw_singh's MK1 or Ben S 4.23FDR MK2 can make for a very, very quick car, without the need for internal mods.

Keep watching this thread for more developments. Who knows, depending on how everything progresses, I may even do a dev session testing different ECUs and calibrations. My control wiring loom can be adapted to plug and play anything if needs be.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for what its worth i did hear recently that certain seat abf lumps (cordoba only iirc) were slightly better engines than the mk3 version, and this is where mine came from. looking thru etka i cant see anything that confirms this as all the numbers are shared. its not the ecu either as mine is running a golf mk3 one, plus i sent mine off to eddie for 'investigation' anyway and nothing out of the ordinary was found.

i cant back any of this up with any facts other than my plot, but that could just be explained with it just being an extra healthy engine. if i had known that this might be the case when i built the car i would have spent a bit more time looking at the cams and head porting to see if there was anything different about it!

9. Admin Guest

Could the head have had a skim at some point?

10. rubjonny

its possible i guess, the engien looked very original to me though it even had almost all of the black paint stuill on it. the crank pulley just fell off after i undid the 4 allen bolts so that shows you how young it must be :lol:

11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Is this a turn up to Garage Streamline or the optimized OEM calibration made available via some other method as I too would happily pay? My MK3 is pretty nippy now with the 3.94FD, minor mods and generic chip. I am however happy to explore the option of improving on the stock cal if there is more to be had. It's unlikely I will do anything further on my current wages other than prepare a copy of BENs shortened runner and enlarged plenum manifold. If you fancy a 'holiday' or a weekend away to Buckie sometime then let me know. :)

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's always variability in engines due to tolerance stack up. That's why lots of race engines get 'blueprinted' to make the most of the variations. You need a slightly loose crank, the biggest possible pistons, smallest possible block deck and head height, biggest valve throats, longest cam lobes, and many more checks, and suddenly you've got a 'good un' but it's still within standard specs. Could be RJ's is just one of those.

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Think of it as 'sharing the good news' and put the profits towards Jerry Boy's first toolkit ;)

14. Toyotec

I have factory plots for SEAT ABF engine and there are same as the VW versions.

You do get engines that can sustain VE at higher rpm more than others, but generally I have not seen engines without bespoke calibration hit near or above 160lbft on this dyno.

Dalj's MK2 vehicle was stock w/digifant and achieved 168bhp@6500 and 145lbft@4500rpm

[​IMG]

Even though the peak bhp number was the same as my vehicle the torque was significantly lower but covered a fairly wide rpm range before decay.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  15. rubjonny

ya its just something i picked up from a respected member in another forum, but as said might just be luck of de draw only. could it be seat picked the best 'blueprinted' engines or something due to their involvement in motorsport? they did get lighter lifters than the mk3 abf didnt they?

who knows, i'll shut up now anyway :lol:

16. Toyotec

This is ClubGTI though. Here we research at the source if needs be!

160bhp is not uncommon for a base ABF motor with a few mods on this dyno as yours was without the eprom.
    160lbft+ tends to come from engines that have been properly tuned.
    Engines with the flat torque range @near 160lbft, as I have shown in JORAN, is required for my performance drive feel.

17. rubjonny

i will certainly look at mine in detail if i ever take the inlet/rocker off, but i dont expect to see anything amazing under there :)

18. Toyotec

You will probably find nothing though Jon.
    We certainly could not find anything different on Dalj's 168bhp engine. I even looked at the chip and it was std.

So yours on 160bhp peak and ~145lbft peak without a chip is a good base motor.

Mind at 168bhp@5900rpm for JORAN, there is an indication of something holding it back post 5300rpm. The torque drops off too soon in my opinion.

I already have some clues that need investigating an will share with everyone in due time.
    For now quite happy with the drive feel on the car. I even took it to work :o

19. rubjonny

a happy abf is a great thing to drive that is for sure, i certainly missed it when i was stuck wit ha mk3 biza 1.4 for nearly 5 months :lol:

20. Toyotec

And a tuned one is even better!