back to a MK2 Golf GTI 16v..

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by bootsie, Nov 12, 2013.

1. dub303 Forum Member

Looks nice with the original grille and the wheels are much better :thumbup:

How does it feel with the standard system back on? Sounds like the scorpion system was a bit knackered to do a fair comparison but I'm in the same boat. I've decided to have my stainless system fixed (30 cm's of NON s/s has rotted) for now, but do wonder if a standard system would be better. However, I might miss the noise that made me want it in the first place (it's just for fun and reminiscing!).
    Does it feel slower due to less 'fast' noises? Is there a real drop in performance? Can't imagine my 'race' system and manifold on a standard KR making too much difference but secretly hoping it does.

Are the seats next on the list?

2. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, though I'm already having second thoughts about the RZs and might swap them to 15" RAs instead if I can find some clean ones.

Standard system still has a decent noise to it and if anything has improved the experience a little as it's 'sporty' without being ridiculous. Can't compare power directly as it was running rough before and now runs better anyway. The opinion at APS is that the standard system is fine up to about 170-180bhp. I'm going to sell my old system and 4-1 manifold. Much happier with the standard setup.

Yes, interior is next though I've been silly and bought a 9A engine that I'm rebuilding so that's on the cards too.

A few more parts to fit this weekend to get it looking a little more OEM first though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  3. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Wash, rinse, clay, rinse, polish, rinse, polish, wash, rinse..

C410E978-7B5D-44C3-8CC9-DFF4CA11DF79.jpg

80E7C09A-C786-47D7-A459-ADEFD7238FD2.jpg

07AB7EA0-B616-4D82-BB84-8EA07234EF75.jpg

4E1BC212-A3CD-4EA4-AD02-3F69AE3426E7.jpg

Paint isn't perfect but has come up pretty well.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Very nice, always though the MK2 valver was the best GTI :).

5. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Started sorting out the interior yesterday, replacing broken bits, fixing some wiring and generally cleaning everything.

Replacement driver's kick plate as the previous one was cracked

02937248-27AC-41C0-9F56-7AA92ACCF3A3.jpg

New genuine mats!

C4B76A9D-9832-4C11-8785-14AA783400C2.jpg

and obligatory Intermittent Wiper Relay mod

22E125C3-788A-4ABD-BCA2-65179A8A727E.jpg

oh, and fixed the boot light too

B024D9BA-0B01-423A-87EA-86E47E2C5838.jpg

I found one of the hoses going to the oil cooler had a tiny split and was leaking badly so replaced that. Replaced some connectors that had burnt out (!), something to do with the aircon and the blower fan. I could hear something strange from the fan afterwards and it sounded like arcing and the same wiring was getting very hot, so left everything disconnected for now until I could source a new fan. That was obviously the cause of the burnt out connector. The fan isn't a standard one, so it'll have to stay disconnected for now.

Bling stereo has been removed ready for an original one to be fitted. Maybe that'll stop the battery drain I seem to have too..

6. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Had my first proper drive out today since buying the car before Christmas. Amazed how solid it felt, comfortable and easy to drive too. Have forgotten how to drive quickly in these things though; after years of v6, v6 twin turbo and v8s (not to mention a few diesels) I've forgotten that you really need to rev these things hard to get the best out of them. Good fun though. The wife loves it! (Good job, as we're selling her v6 4motion and keeping this instead)

7. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Fixed a few things this weekend:
    • Heater blower motor now working
    • Aerial fixed
    • Sunroof rear drain tube cleared

However, in the process of refitting the rear bumper (removed to get access to the sunroof drain tube) on of the bolts doesn't want to go back in nicely and I'm worried if I keep going I'm just going to strip the thread. I guess I'm going to have to find something to clean the thread up so I can get this bolt back in. I guess I need a Tap? Don't really understand Tap sizes - is it as simple as matching the bolt size e.g. M17? I guess I need to know the thread pitch too?

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the bolts are M10, not sure on the pitch though? I think if ETKA doesnt specify the thread is 1.5, as if its x1 or 1.25 ETKA will say but you might want to double check that

bootsie likes this.
  9. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Ah, yes you're right - M10x33 according to ETKA, no pitch specified.

10. molegti Forum Member

bootsie likes this.
  11. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

12. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Cleaned up the thread last night using an M10 x 1.5 tap - right again John! Thanks

Bumper now secure ready for the MOT today.

13. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

If it helps the interior decision, it aint oe leather interior. The doorcards should have stitched diagonals, and the seat bases also have incorrect stitching

14. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, it's definitely not factory leather. The previous owner assured me that the car was delivered this way and the dealer had the seats re trimmed. Seems possible as the same thing has happened with the Air Conditioning.

15. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

MOT Disaster!

The car went for an MOT yesterday. I was expecting a couple of bits to come up (brake pipes mainly) which they did. Also a chip in the windscreen - no big deal.
    However, they identified a load of welding that needed doing around the "front suspension mounting components". This was a bit of a shock as in all the time it spent on a ramp getting new suspension fitted we'd never noticed anything. I asked the guy at the MOT garage where he meant and he said around the front subframe mounting points. They wanted 350 to fix the brake pipes and do the welding.
    I took the car away and popped in to APS (where all of our Audis & VWs go for servicing) to ask their advice on whether that's a reasonable figure to pay. It was the end of the day so they said "let's get it on the ramp and take a look". They were slightly horrified to find that there was indeed rust all around the front jacking points, right under the great big gouge marks where someone had rammed a screwdriver in and wiggled it about a lot. So much for the MOT hammer.
    We were all surprised that we'd missed it in the recent work but agreed that it needed doing anyway. The welding wasn't really their thing (they generally deal with nice new stuff so they didn't have to deal with old crap like mine!) but also said that the MOT garage are probably just going to bodge a plate over the rust rather than cut it out. If I'm going to pay to have welding done I'd rather it be done properly so it doesn't come back again in six months. We called in a welder/fabricator from a local paint shop to see if it's something he'd take on (again, he doesn't normally touch old stuff as it's too much hassle) but obviously feeling slightly sorry for either me or the car he agreed to do the work on it for 250. He's going to cut the whole affected chunk of floor out on both sides and replace it. Fantastic! Nathan at APS did ask why I didn't just take it there for the MOT in the first place and the best answer I could give was "I thought you didn't do them". Lesson learned.

So, last night I spent a couple of hours stripping out all of the carpet, seats and anything else that might catch fire ready for the welding today or tomorrow. Most of the floor didn't look too bad but I did spot some daylight coming through on the driver's side.

5C8A81F6-D712-4713-93FC-ACB68E990C71.jpg

and a close-up of the hole:

6DBA80EC-BA13-45A8-92FF-D9A6326C76C6.jpg

passenger side also looks ok on first glance

E4ECAF8B-326D-4249-A594-791EA190C2D2.jpg

but also looks rough on closer inspection

CB933766-DE3D-4190-BB27-E8C01A8DB919.jpg

I'm slightly gutted about the welding required as the car did seem pretty rust-free. However, it is getting old now and there can't be many MK2s around that haven't got rust in that area. I'm glad it's being repaired properly though rather than just bodged over.

Of course some of the under-carpet insulation/sound deadening is in a sorry state so I need to decide what to do about that when it comes to putting it back together. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend another 100 on a new kit, and I don't think that even contains the heavy rubber-backed panels that the original stuff has. I'll have a think about that whilst the car is away.

16. funbagjuggler Forum Member

17. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

18. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks. I've dropped it off now ready for the welding hopefully tonight. Seemed happy enough with the condition I'd left it in. I think most of that floor is getting cut out anyway!

19. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Welding completed, MOT re-rest

A few updates over the last week or so.

The welding has been completed for the MOT:

5EBA087D-BC7E-48F9-9D63-15DAF1FD3F67.jpg

A7857AAA-D164-49A8-BD43-2A7261C968D9.jpg

010AA93A-FD06-4211-9B9B-92225B7010D7.jpg

90D1457D-04F9-479D-8D8E-82714E1BB6AF.jpg

52226290-FBA7-494F-8E6A-D2C2BEADCA48.jpg

373BDAC6-D8AB-4A90-83D6-C8AC0742F1E9.jpg

It's never going to win any beauty awards but I know it's been done properly (i.e. the rust has been cut out) rather than having a bloke in the MOT garage plate over the rust for 350. He didn't fancy replacing the whole floor so has patched a few sections and plated over some others. Not much is getting through that underseal either ... not my preference really but it's not a show car so I'm not sure I'm bothered. I'd prefer to know it's not going to rust again in another year or so.

One of the rear brake pipes was replaced and the fuel filter (or something around there anyway) was secured properly.

Autoglass came and repaired the chip in the windscreen and the chip that was there when I bought the car is nearly invisible. Even the technician was impressed with the result.

I took the opportunity to clean the carpets up whilst they were out with a good soaking in Surfex and a jetwash to finish, so they look and smell much better.

Took it back to the MOT test centre and this time got a certificate - I'm back on the road again.

20. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Speaker Grilles replaced

I managed to find another speaker grill with the VW badge (rather than "Volkswagen" or "Aktiv"). One of the grilles was cracked and the other side had screws in the surround which looked horrible. Now fixed both things so no nasty bits of broken plastic visible now. It's little things like that that really annoy me..

2A9B804E-54C9-4FB7-8719-4651D3B1666A.jpg