eBay 4 branch manifolds and good?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by M7R, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

That doesn't really mean much without the baseline data Rob. It would shed light to see the before & after graph(s).
    Could just be that your car wasn't optimised before your mapping session.

There are a few well optimised yet standard engines producing around 160lbft at ~5500 rpm.
    This is about 168bhp @ ~5500rpm

If we add 30bhp to this figure (simulating the mega manifold), giving 198bhp @ 5500rpm
    This would suggest 198lbft at ~5500rpm ... from a 2.0L ? An unseen output.

You can see how the before & after graph would clear this up, as currently we do not know if your bar charts suggest that your engine was out of tune prior to the manifold & dyno, or if it has some world beating torque output equivalent of a 3.0L :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

How do you think i generated a delta plot without baseline data? This is a very well optimized engine, with a standalone ecu, and shows what can be achieved with a well designed manifold on an engine that really wants to breathe.

3. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Without the actual figures it means nothing. At least provide the before and after torque figures for 5500rpm.

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

No - this is from a race engine fitted to a current competition car and I would rather not disclose further details, but be assured that I do have RR plots to illustrate this effect. The above data was given to illustrate the benefit of a well designed tubular manifold as produced by one of the countries leading race exhaust shops. I know of other vag race engines, from successful cars, that have seen similar improvements and this is entirely realistic. However, it is highly unlikely that some of the poorly designed manifolds out there would give similar gains, and it would also be unlikely to see similar gains on more standard cars. What seems to have happened here is that the manifold has unlocked the potential performance from other modifications to the engine that the previous manifold repressed to a degree.

The 'mega' manifold in question is based on a works Skoda manifold

[​IMG]

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Dunno how much science is behind it (and he did have his own rolling road to check it) but Tim Stiles himself wrote in his book that there's little point putting a 4 branch on a stock 16v. I suspect there are better ways to spend the money, although if your downpipe is shot, you might want to upgrade anyway, as OE downpipes ain't cheap. In that situation I'd go for an 8v one myself.

6. murph81 Forum Member

When you say stock, is it solely internals you mean?

Surely a 4 branch will be of benefit on a standard engine with itb's?

7. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

A standard engine, with standard cams and CR would not benefit from ITB's anyway..

8. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Have you completely missed the effect of ITBs on a bone stock 16v thread?
    Similar midrange but gains to be had at the top end

9. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

The hardware change made the difference?! Or the software and ability to calibrate effectively?!

10. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

11. jonlikescad Forum Member

I put an Ashley manifold on my old mk2 16v purely because the silencer on the downpipe had given up and the Ashley was cheaper! think it was 200 delivered back then.

Didn't make any noise normally, but growled when you booted it. Only mods I had were K&N and the manifold. Doubt it did a lot to up power, maybe 5hp due to silencer delete.

2p. spend it wisely.