How much Timing on Your 2L 16V’s ??

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ianb, Dec 14, 2003.

1. mk1. Forum Junkie

ime running piper 285`s(274-276)pug ecu and t/b`s and at the moment it runs the same on u/l as it does on optimax,ive wired in the knock sencor but dont use it as it doesent pink on the u/l,just need to find the time to get it back on the rollers,also running wilder cams reduces the chances of pinking

2. Golfvr6 Forum Member

The 9A engine is fitted with knock sensors??? and timing is done by the ecu. Are you running a 9A block with a KR head? is your motor running k-jet or ke-motronic?

3. prof Forum Addict

wilder cams do reduce the compression but when they all start to work higher up the revs you can run into pinking then, but with a mapped ecu and t-bodies a robT style power output can't be far away when you get the map done. lucky fella :p

4. Joe_G Forum Member

Yeah, the 9A normally runs with knock sensors on KE-Jetronic. I junked them on mine and just run standard KR stuff, i.e Std. K-Jet Injection and open loop electronic ignition (no knock control).

I'm using the KR cams in the std. 9A head.

Joe

5. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Ok, i got you now. Good stuff!

6. madmk4 Forum Member

I think prof meant to say the dynamic compression ratio, as in the compression ratio on the move in simple.

Also, you can only 'tune' the engine a certain degree but the colour of the plugs, and only when they are exactly the right heat grade.

Which most engines probally dont have in them, being as most of us just go to GSF or wherever and ask for some bosch super fours or whatever.. Worth bearing in mind.

7. GTI

GTI Forum Member

Joe, why did you junk the KE? and do you still have the bits left over ;) .

8. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I ran whatever the engine wanted to make best power.... but this is the beauty of mapped ecu's.

Ran 300 cams at one point and idled @ 800rpm smooth as silk.. Ran up to 46' advance on some load positions from memory. No pinking ever. Ran 95UL most of the time. (mapped on 95UL)

9. Joe_G Forum Member

Didn't junk the KE, never had it in the first place. I just bought the bare engine for 350 with no electrics/fuelling etc. It was just sitting in a pile of other KR engines when I went to look at it. Came out of a Passat GT with 70k with big rear end damage, luckily it's sweet as a nut.

Sold the 50mm Inlet manifold to the US for 100 so recouped some money. :)

Joe

10. GTI

GTI Forum Member

ah, same boat as me then. must find out what extra bits i'd need to get the KE going. the dizzy's are expensive iirc.

11. Joe_G Forum Member

I think Duffman has just converted his 9A to full KE-Jet but for now, mine runs better than a nuns first curry so I'll leave it as is! :)

Joe

12. espen w New Member

13. GTI

GTI Forum Member

but it won't be able to account for the fact the a particular engine might be better suited to colder temperatures than another

14. matt d Forum Member

I've given up with my car. I have it set up and running really well and when i turn up at a rolling road day with everyone watching it runs CR@P [xxx]
    WHY :(

15. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

16. madmk4 Forum Member

Thought about getting it on some sort on management, and off K-jet ?
    It'll make more grunt that way anyway i bet

17. ianb Forum Member

Prof is right about pinking at high load and that a mapped system is definately more efficient especially with T/B's.Mine will pink above 5500 in the summer with 10' timing so I have to retard.

My car's fuelling was checked and found to be short on no3 injector. I managed to get a new metering head and injectors and the delivery was checked from the pump.
    A G60 head gasket helped too.

You can get excellent results on normal K jet as my car proves but my deciding factor was budget.

190 + is achievable but the method of getting it is more crued (but cheap if your lucky)

Ian

18. mk1. Forum Junkie

ide imagine you could run the pug ecu ime using to run my t/b`s,just use a mk3 inlet manifold comp with fuel rail and inj`s,you can pick up a ecu and a loom for 10-30 if you shop about and it doesent take much wiring up,then its just a case of getting it mapped

19. madmk4 Forum Member

Does sound rather cool mk1 :p

I plan to do a throttle body setup on the cheeeap, making them form old carbs in the hopefully not to distant future.. Might be one way to go.

20. mk1. Forum Junkie

same here got some bare 45`s ime going to mod shortly,ile post pics of the stages when I do them,found a link to some t/b`s ile dig it out and post it
    here you go,usually some good stuff on here for sale
    http://www.rallyusedparts.co.uk/showpartsbydate.cfm
    Edited by: mk1.