I’ve got proper ABF cams specs (finally!)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by H8SV8S, Oct 25, 2004.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

It was all a sham - only one "wide arch" car was made by Danny Whitrow at RSD and although it looked the dogs, it was not that great - I think Seat had ideas of cashing in on the F2 success but nothing ever came of it

There were no other factory ibiza's other than std 16V cupras.

There was a red turbo cordoba made, actually by Brian Ricketts I think, but it was a bit of a death trap and was broken for parts a few years ago

Cheers

Rob

2. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Fountain of knowledge as always Rob! :thumbup:

3. ViCk Forum Member

The digi ABF goes very well in the Mk1, I'm guessing a remap would make it loads better then. On the to-do list. :)

4. 444IN Forum Member

Very, very good info, I'm not touchin' my cams now... [:D]

5. H8SV8S Forum Member

I bet it does!!! Even my mechanic's 1.8 16v PL Mk1 goes REALLY well.

Definately get it re-mapped, especially if you have a few breathing mods and can always run 98RON fuel.

6. h_v_b New Member

Is it possible to run the ABF cams in a KR motor? Has anyone tried it?

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Yes and not sure.

8. cordobabrendy Forum Member

not quite the answer you were looking for matey but when my abf cams died an awful scraping death when a tappet shattered, i could only source a kr head,
    when it was fitted and run around in for a while i noticed that the car pulled equally as well as before hand (rr'd at 157 bhp and 133) afterwards it was rr'd again with the kr head and cams, 155 bhp and 138 lb/f, lost 2 bhp but gained 4 lb/f, now, the dyno chart was interesting as the power and torque were both being produced almost exactly 1000 rpm lower in the rev range so the narrower ports on the kr head seem to give more down low pull but on the road seemed to die after 6k maybe 6.1k.
    the abf head definately pulled harder to 6500-6600 just before the limiter kicked in but the kr head was a tiny bit easier to accelerate in 5th at lower speeds, ie 30&40 mph zones.

9. cordobabrendy Forum Member

abf cams have a different profile on the actual lobes over the kr in that the kr lobes surface that comes in contact with the tappet/follower is only half the width of the abf which is full width contact.
    im not sure how this woud affect the surface of the tappet as there is bound to be a little wear caused y the edge of the kr item.

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Can't find the thread that Tub posted about lightweight tappets in 16v..

Found this on vortex 16v forum, lightweight 16v tappet info. Made me laugh, they're all blithering on about part numbers and ringing Germany to find out how/what/why, then Ess Three comes along and states the car they were fitted to , part numbers and pics :clap::lol:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1094732&page=3

Edited by: G_V_K

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Can see why the 2 KR exhaust cams work well now... ;)

12. Ess Three Forum Member

I try my best.... ;)

The common problem with Vortex is that there's far too many Internet experts and far too much talking...and not enough doing.

As we all know, when theory and reality collide...reality wins. Every time.
    ...which is why it's a breath of fresh air on here with people that actually 'do' things!

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just need to get my SEAT ABF head flowed then. Its already perfect everywhere else, K-Jet etc! ;)

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Absolutely - They seem to post far too many words to say f... nothing as well:lol:

15. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Yep, excellent results to be had just from a flowed head and ABF cams. :thumbup:

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

180bhp is only 1 step away for me then. Will treat myself next year, but i want a respray first.

17. randomguy82 Forum Member

Excuse my ignorance but is the ABF the 2.0 16v to have then? Is it better than the 9A/KR combo? I haven't had any experience with 16vs before - only the 8v. I always though the KR head was better - hope I haven't opened a can of worms :)
    Edited by: randomguy82

18. H8SV8S Forum Member

No worms released as yet :lol: From what I've found, the ABF seems to make more power when tuned, but it also makes it higher up. I recently achieved my goal of over 200whp, but the mapping is WAY out as I've killed another TPS. At the moment, I needed just under 9000rpm ( [:$] ) to reach peak power - properly mapped this motor should peak at about 8000 by my guess. The chap who tuned my car figured that the tall block (ABF) would make peak power at least 300rpm higher than a 9A - I don't know why in technical terms, though. To put it simply, if you want a silly race engine (which I somehow have stumbled upon in my daily driver :lol: ), go with the ABF, otherwise, the short-motors are fine and the majority of talk is utter BS.

19. DarrenH Forum Member

yeah quite tasty ! the stock cams in the astra are "only" 250 duration 9.5 lift !

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

My motor is a 2L short block and makes plenty power (193 atw) so I dont
    think this has much to do with the power potential if H8SV8S has
    achieved similar outputs as me but with an ABF.

Rob