Immobiliser Help

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MK2MonzaBlue, May 4, 2024.

1. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Yet more electrical questions I'm afraid.

I've installed a Cobra immobiliser on my 16V, and now it's not starting (shocking)

The immobiliser is quite simple, earth, ignition live, permanent live, and then two wires to wire into an existing circuit to disable it. The earth, and lives are all onto the corresponding spades on the back of the fusebox. The two wires to disable a circuit I wired into pin 15 on the ignition switch because when I tested it, it prevented the fuel pumps and ignition coil from getting power when turning the key.

I tested that the car started before I installed anything, and it was fine, and after installation it doesn't start. The weird thing is:

Both fuel pumps are running when I deactivate the immobiliser, but I only get spark once I let off the key (stop cranking). As in, I've got fuel and it's cranking when I try to start it, but I only get spark when I stop cranking.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be something with the immobiliser or have I disturbed something else in the process of installing it?

2. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

I've temporarily fixed this problem by just undoing where I wired the immobiliser into the existing wiring. So I now have an immobiliser with live, switched live and earth, but it isn't doing any immobilising as it isn't connecting into any of the cars circuits.

I'm going to leave it for now, but when I do want to get the immobiliser working, what two circuits should I be connecting it to? I'm thinking I want to connect it into the fuel pump circuit and starter circuit, but specifically what wires would I need to connect it to to achieve this?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i would tap it into the fuel pump trigger wire, that way theres no load on the alarm unit and it should in theory last longer. you could be sneakey and tap it into the live to the spark module in scuttle, runnign a long and hidden loop from it thru the hole where the heated washer jets come through or similar. then car theif will be probing coil but sees power, looks at ignition loom but sees no cuts etc but no spark and no fuel

4. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Unfortunately I'm absolutely terrible at reading wiring diagrams and so I was unable to figure out which wire is the fuel pump trigger.

The live for the spark module sounds good. Would this just be the black wire running to the spark module on top of the ECU?

5. rubjonny

assuming its a CE1 fusebox its the one to D/13, and yep its the black to the TCI that comes from the coil :)

6. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Cheers for that. Does the wire to D/13 go straight to the pump or does it go somewhere else first?

7. rubjonny

D/13 is wired from the ecu, its what triggers the relay so its got no load on it. e/14 is pump power out :)

8. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Brilliant, thanks

9. John A Forum Member

Can't really help, but just to add my aftermarket immobilizer (toad) which is wired on the fuel pump as in press the button to activate the fuel pump. Not sure what it's tapped in to if this helps at all