My Mars Red Mk1 - Thread REBOOT- P82

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vw_singh, May 5, 2008.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Time for a heavily worked head and 2.1 bottom end, forged and high comp'd like crazy?

2. 12valver Forum Member

Sorry to hear the engine has expired Gurds, I am sure you will sort out a nice solution though.

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yep got to think of a solution that would be fitting. Any ideas are welcome though.

Gurds

4. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Crappy 8v so we can catch up lol

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry to hear about the engine, Gurds. Any thoughts on the change of breather having something to do with this? I can't think what, but that seems to be the only thing you've changed. Maybe you've pressurised that engine or something?

Boost, my dear Singh, boost. :thumbup:

6. Hilux Forum Member

Hi Gurdip

Good to meet you on Saturday.

We were intending to see you before we went home but we left early as you are NOT going to believe this................................. but our ABF engine went as well!!!!!

See this thread

What a coincidence!!!!!!

I reckon the hot track and air temperatures, oil cooling/thinning and Bedford Autodrome's high speed high revving everywhere with very fast corners is the issue. The car is absolutely flat out all the time.

My 02a box is ideal for Bedford, I dont need 5th at all as it maxes out at about 120 terminal at max revs in 4th on the long back straight.

I have a windage tray and have trapdoor baffled the sump and saw the water tempereature stable without issue and the oil was always around 120 but cooled to 100 ish as soon as the revs dropped on the cooling off lap.

My son Jonathan came in slow from a 6 or 7 lap session and noticed as he approached the pit lane the top end got noisy and when he pulled up the oil pressure fell right away. We had been keeping it to about 6 blaps each time as the track is just under 4 miles long and it was very warm and asking a lot of the tyres and oil (we use the oil/water exchanger and dont have an oil cooler). I saw a few badly blistered 888`s where they had stayed out too long.

I ended up with 20 psi so the bottom end was ok with lubrication and the top end was oiled as well but not enough for the tappets. I was ok with driving it home but fear the mains may be the issue but hope its the oil pressure relief valve however oil temp and water temp were fine so it might need a crank or shells.

Will drop the sump this weekend.

Keep in touch, keep us updated.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I don't think boost would suit the type of car.

I would opt for crazy compression, worked like mad head, ITB, 2.1, forged everything all singing all dancing. That would be a money is no object choice of course. Oh and cams. Very lumpy cams.

I need to wake up now, that's a dream ABF spec right there.

8. murph81 Forum Member

Fresh engine with man in the shed head, cams and itbs!

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

looks like a good event, gutted about your engine as it was flying at Brands :-(

10. Hilux Forum Member

While on the subject of wrecked engines, anyone got any recommendations regarding good ABF engine builders/rebuilders?

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hilux, it was really nice talking to you too. I was wondering what became of you guys. I can't believe we suffered the same fate the same day!

Gurds

12. Hilux Forum Member

I know..............gutted really as the engine was a good un - but couldnt quite stay with yours :clap:

Not bad though for a s/h ABF with 86,000 on it (I was told)

Its done about 1500 miles since being transplanted into the Mk1 and about 650 of those are track miles bouncing off the rev limiter ;)

Keep in touch :)

13. mec82 Forum Member

gutted for you mate :(

I reckon you should resist the urge for boost. Although it would be very very quick car with 300bhp its just not the same as an NA screamer.

At the risk of being heckled I'd be tempted to chuck a fresh STD lump and get back out there! build a better lump over winter. I can't take my own advice though and spend too long working on it, not enough time enjoying it.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Gutted. Trevor's crystal ball sadly on the money @ Brands about it being as fast as it would ever go! Only last weekend I was thinking reblock it.

Eak at the braking video :o - good thing it was Bedford! Mind you, I was driving at the season-closer last Nov with the front servo out of circuit, and all that furniture at the end of the straight was definitely looking at me! I wasn't messing with it!

What is up with the brakes? Cold tyres, unbedded front discs or pads, or bias?

@ Hilux, 1,500 miles is v. unlucky.

As for the new engine, just a thought:

1) (optional) Rob da bank
    2) Drive to Lichtenstein
    3) Don't accept anything less than 290bhp n/a

Close your eyes and smile! Anything else is tomorrow's problem [:p]

Anyway, it's same old rules really, back running for cheap before too much dust settles on it. I can drop you an engine crane around :thumbup:

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I might have one to donate soon ;)...

16. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Gutted for you Gurds!!!

As Chris said don't let it lay up for too long, grab another ABF and chuck it in!! then plan something bigger and better over winter, perhaps a nice FSI na ;)

Anyway keep ya chin up, im sure you'll have a fix in no time. If you need to use the ramp etc give me a shout

:thumbup:

17. TrackCab16v Forum Member

great driving gurds with the porker , your car handles and its cornering ability is a credit to you , went like crazy right up until it died . nice gas flowed head and a strong bottom end and you will be untouchable mate , i bet ya getting a bit of stick off the mrs lol . good luck hope you get back in action soon .

18. thegave Forum Member

Sorry to read about your loss Gurds, especially with the incredible amount of dedication you put into keeping it running.

Wouldn't now be a good time to do something with that TT manifold/T25 you picked up off E38?

19. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thanks for the support lads! For now, the tax is going back and a SORN declaration made. I have plenty to sort out so this can wait a little while now.

The brakes just feel crap in general. Something really isn't right so a bit of thought and investigation required.

An engine from Lehman would be EPIC but not anything within my budget really.

Thanks for the help and I will let you know of anything I need.

I will make sure it comes back bigger and better ;)

8v's? NEVER!!!!!! 16v FTWMFW even if it does blow up [}:)]

Gurds

20. g_singh Forum Member

Bad news about the engine Gurds, but use this as oppertunity to do something even more special as im sure you will.