My Mk1 Project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by golfguy, Oct 8, 2013.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So the Mk1 was bought and converted to a Richard Lloyd replica by Ian Fowler. Ian has been involved with racing of VWs amongst others for a number of years, and is good friends with Ken Lark, who runs the VW Corrado I've recently posted on this thread, a car which has its roots way back in the VW Cup over 10 years ago. Both Ian and Ken know Alan Sawyer of Frazero fame, indeed the Corrado was built there. Also known to all three was Richard Lloyd (RIP), who was a co-director of Frazero. Here is Richard, right, with Alan, middle:

[​IMG]

Frazero's work included supplying components for the Bugatti Veyron interior. This is hardly a coincidence: Richard Lloyd was very well connected to VAG, having run the BTCC Audi Touring Cars from his base in Buckingham in the mid '90s:

[​IMG]

- and later he ran the Bentley Le Mans cars (2001) - but first and foremost he raced this silver Mk1 Golf in the Tricentrol British Saloon Car Championship in 1977, the forerunner to the BTCC.

So following Richard's tragic death, and the subsequent closure of Apex Motorsport, it was fitting that a tribute was created and this was done by Ian with the car you have. Here is the Richard Lloyd tribute thread. He singularly put the VW Golf on the UK motor racing map with this (original) Golf GTI and subsequent black racing Mk1s.

Just a couple of years ago I also assisted with the livery design work on the Corgi model :thumbup:

[​IMG]

golfguy likes this.
  2. golfguy Forum Member

Once again, a big thanks Chris, it would have taken me forever to research all of this information and I'm finding the links very interesring.

If you could pm me the advert when Ian Fowler originally sold the car, it would indeed be One for the files. Cheers.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No probs Dave - and will do! :thumbup:

4. golfguy Forum Member

Email sent Chris, once again big thanks.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sent!

Some pics from Castle Combe in 2010:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

6. golfguy Forum Member

Castle Combe shots

I feel quite nostalgic! it must have been Ian's first year judging by the novice cross on the back, great stuff cheers :thumbup:

7. golfguy Forum Member

From this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And new box section on the underside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now to tidy the engine bay[:D]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That looks a huge improvement :thumbup:

- fair bit of work I'd imagine, trimming up in advance and then not warping the metal when welding?

9. golfguy Forum Member

Quite time consuming Chris, but I must confess that it's not all my own work, theres a chap I know who is very handy with the more difficult jobs on the bodywork side of things :clap:

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice - keep him busy while he's there!

11. golfguy Forum Member

Have been trying to update the project but am having major issues with my lap top and vista, may have to in vest in a new one, but all of my spare cash is going into the Mk1 at the moment!
    [​IMG]
    the engine bay took some sorting
    [​IMG]
    so got stuck in
    [​IMG]
    battery tray also removed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    looks cleaner now

12. golfguy Forum Member

When the dashboard was taken out it was found that the windscreen base had rusted out, so it was another job to sort out
    [​IMG]
    how it looks now
    [​IMG]

jamesa likes this.
  13. golfguy Forum Member

After all the hard work of putting the new floor pan and sill in to the car, it was time to make a decision on what to do about the roll cage and seat mounts, the roll cage had been poorly fitted.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It was doubtful if it would meet the minimum acceptable requirements present or future in the FIA standards.
    There was only one choice, be it an expensive one, but to have a professional weld in cage and new seat mounts fitted properly.
    The car was duly sent off to Custom Fabrication, one of the Country's top Motor-sport Fabricators who have worked on World Rally Cars, British Touring Cars and GT cars and just finished working on the Roger Clark Motor-sport Time Attack "Gobstopper 11". Needless to say they are really very busy so mine was a quick turn around between jobs!
    The original cage was fixed to the rear arch
    [​IMG]

This has now been cut out, new weld in job is to the rear turret mounts

[​IMG]

Nicely welded in place and braced at the A post

[​IMG][​IMG]

A post floor mounting

[​IMG]

Custom steering wheel mount

[​IMG]

Nicely braced front struts

[​IMG]

New seat and belt mounts

[​IMG]

B post mount

[​IMG]

It all has to be rubbed down and given a coat of anti rust and Etch primer before going off for spaying

14. murph81 Forum Member

Nice work!

15. golfguy Forum Member

Cheers bud, but if a job is worth doing!:thumbup:

16. murph81 Forum Member

Definitely, it will add value to the car too!

17. tom.rich Forum Member

That cage is top notch isn't it :thumbup: I can see why they get chosen to work for the Clark lads and BTCC/WRC stuff :)
    Looking forward to the pics after paint :thumbup:

18. golfguy Forum Member

Can't speak highly enough about Simon and Andy at Custom Fabrication, but they really are just run off their feet though!

19. TUBDUB Forum Member

Awesome work as always from the custom fab guys, never got bored of watching them work! they made a downpipe back system up for us out of mangled scrap and minimal spares between races at one of the BTCC rounds last year, top blokes to! keep us updated bud, shes gonna be tip top in no time!

20. golfguy Forum Member

Made it to the Body shop

Just a few shots of the old girl getting prepped in the body shop, still lots to do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[video]http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/dcrobbo/Gt5_zps0e64f20e.jpg[/video]