THIS is a big 16v throttle body

Discussion in '16-valve' started by flusted, Jan 27, 2005.

1. flusted Forum Member

No need to start female doging [:x] Not saying whos right or wrong as i dont know, but sometimes qualified people make mistakes and people who have experience know more.A theory is a theory,its not hard evidence and in the circumstance anything could change due to spec of my car for instance.Maybe this tb is too big etc but ive spoke to a few people that have had them fitted and they said it made car pull like a train off the line,so scrap the text books and il go with the evidence.
    as for tsc,maybe you have too much blood in your alcohol system?? :lol:
    Edited by: flusted

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I don't think there is any blood left in it now - whiskey is coming out instead..... :lol:

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Get a glass and fill it up mate, don't wanna waste a good malt!! :p

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

He doesnt drink a good one, its not even really whisky, its just a blend of chemicals made at home ;) :lol: :lol:

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's not a malt - plain old Powers blend..... but in 14 minutes the offy opens, so I shall procure a bottle of Glenfiddich to ensure high-quality genital leakage... :lol:

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Funny you should say that - I'm picking up an old hot water tank this week to see if I can distill me own Poitin, given that the "Man who can" has been busted....

It didn't help that the eejit put his name on the labels..... :lol:

7. prof Forum Addict

what would be helpful here would be some "laymans" comments from golden, explaining "pumping losses" and VE in a non Stephen hawkins manner.

8. Golden Forum Junkie

9. prof Forum Addict

10. Seraph Banned

isn't that a description of you! :lol: ;) :lol:

just kiddin dude! ;)
    Edited by: Seraph

11. Golden Forum Junkie

Ok, Pumping Losses in laymans terms.

Pumping loss is a fancy way of saying engine breaking. When an engine tries to turn and there are large pressure differences between the inside of the cylinders and the inlet, exhaust or under side of the cylinder it creates drag on the piston. We use this drag as engine breaking. The problem with this is on older engines was the engine was still dumped in fuel creating high emissions and increasing MPG. Most cars from the early 90s onwards have over run fuel cut off so this becomes far less of an issue.
    There are further ways it affects performance and mpg but that will go beyond laymans terms.
    This is a very simplistic explanation but without getting into the very basics of the internal combustion engine design thats it.

Volumetric Efficiency is far simpler all though sounds complicated.

VE is normally expressed as a percentage. Imagine you turn your engines cylinder to BDC (bottom of its stroke) there is now an area above it. If you were to fill that area above the piston, including any chamber in the head, completely with air and fuel at the right ratio, that would be 100% VE. The important thing to remember is that 100% would be at the ambient atmospheric pressure (what ever the air pressure is outside). What you are trying to achieve with a normally aspirated engine is to get as high a VE as possible, with a pressure charged engine it far easier to achieve 100%VE and above, hence the performance improvement.
    Its also worth remembering that VE changes at engine speed and load, when you feel an engine pick up or come on cam what youre actually feeling is the VE improving.

12. alpinejim

alpinejim Forum Member

Isn't Golden's and Nurburgring's explainations of VE and pumping losses pretty much the same? [:s]

What are you guys arguing about?

I'm sure there was just some mis-understanding right from the start. The way i read the initial thread was that Nurburgring maybe just expanded on or added to Golden's comments.

I'll go back and take another look.

13. Golden Forum Junkie

No they're not the same, had they been I'd have just taken the piss for saying the same thing.

In nurburgrings explanation of VE he states it's the ability of the engine "to breathe", which is inaccurate, he then gets even further from the truth by claiming its the volume of air passed through the engine.

As for his explanation of pumping losses, which is blatantly cribbed from here he has still failed to support his original glib statement regarding pumping losses and TB design. His point regarding TB position is valid but he waffles about flow when pumping losses are about pressure differentials not air flow.

What originally provoked me to correct him was the smug way he added to my post without saying anything of any worth, knowing full it would go over many peoples heads whilst still impressing them.

Edited by: Golden

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I'm un-impresses...

He has stolen my look and you type too much. :lol:

15. prof Forum Addict

hmmm i'm a bit worried about the
    that you mention :lol: [8(] ....runs away

16. Golden Forum Junkie

Ok spelling isn't my strongest point :lol:

17. Seraph Banned

i dont understand this thread! [:s]
    How can there even be an debate about the definition of something as text book as VE. Theres no room for interpretation, it just is what it is! Its not even what some might consider a contentious topic imo.
    Edited by: Seraph

18. flusted Forum Member

The topic should be about the tb not ve [8(]

19. Golden Forum Junkie

Yes sorry mate, I did only mention VE regarding your original question.

20. flusted Forum Member

Right,i fitted the tb today after modding it to accept the throttle micro switch.
    Throttle response is mad,i only have to look at the pedal and it wheelspins! doesnt appear to affect the power anywhere else,only on initial acceleration but im happy with it.
    Heres a pic of it fitted
    [​IMG]