Megasquirt Newbie Questions - All the really dumb ones you were afraid to ask!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mike_H, Apr 27, 2010.

1. emery1990 Forum Member

I didnt know, but its on working on 029 so has it be that. It seems ok, just need to find out why my tps isnt picking up a signal. :thumbup:

2. mk2abf Forum Member

you should have

5v ref
    tps signal
    earth

check for 5v at the tps when ms is on could just be that the wires are wrong way around :thumbup:

3. emery1990 Forum Member

I've got 5v ref going to my hall sender plug, should I splice into it so I've got 5v going to the tps aswell.

Done the above and it works now. Just need a mew hall sender and a bung and it should start!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  4. If i'm using alpha-n mode should i have connected my map sensor as well? Is there any other reason than barometric correction? what?

5. Is this the dumbest question that's why i didn't get an answer? :lol:

6. Jools Forum Member

Using Alpha-n is for TPS only, so no, you shouldn't have the option for a MAP sensor turned on, and there should be no barometric correction. (IIRC)

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can combine the 2 with MS2 as he has. But generally for TPS angle/speed set ups just use throttle as load.

8. Great. Thank you very much guys

9. Jools Forum Member

Using a MAP sensor aswell make tuning easier/better? Can you produce a smoother idle?

Also I've been told about running a vac hose from the inlet manifold to the 1.8t rail and fuel pressure reg i use, so the fuel pressure chances at idle. Whats the advantage?

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Vac hose on regulator reduces regulates fuel pressure for varying loads. It reduces the pressure at idle and over run when it is not needed, so its wise to fit one. Could cause excess fuel usage and over rich emission at idle.

11. Toyotec

On plenum manifold systems, with OE cam timing the FPR is referenced to plenum pressure to ensure the delivery pressure of the fuel spray is kept constant.
    For ITBs you are roughly running very close to 101kPa when the thorttle is opened and referencing may not be required.

12. From what have been said i remembered something else. when on idle, my kPa reading changes all the time between 1st and last bin, meaning 20kPa and 100kPa. Is this normal?

13. Toyotec

Nope abnormal. If it is a OE 16v or 20vT it should a constant be ~25-35kPa, all things being equal.

14. Is it? I thought maybe something has to do with the cams? It is a 16v Eddie. So what should i check for this?

15. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

iI'm at the stage of wiring up to my CE2 fusebox. I'm proposing on using G1 to connect some of the main parts of the MS to. Can someone just say that this is correct please?
    I should add Pin 3 is Pin37 from the MS
    Pin 10 is Pin 28 to power MS
    and Pin 12 to supply a +ve to my ford coil pack

G1 Pin 3 ECU Pin Fuel Pump Relay to CE2 G1/3? 10 digi ecu pin 14 MS 12Volt supply from digifant relay CE2 G1/10 12 ignition coil pin 1 Coil pack feed +ve
    Cheers

Neil

16. Toyotec

Really lumpy jobs? The above with be nominal for an OE engine.

17. nop..just 276 at the moment..

18. Toyotec

About ~ 50kPa at idle

19. Ok thanks. i have another problem as well. I calibrate my coolant temp sensor and when at about 50C it reads 130C ?? and when i remove the wire that goes on it from the ecu it reads 82C ?? i can't figure out how to solve this. Btw is a VDO coolant temp sensor

20. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

If a sensor has failed, i.e. is completely open or shorted, then the ECU uses a substitute constant temperature value for that sensor. It's typically around 80 degrees C. (If you're interested: if you have a look at thermfactor.inc and look at the first line that says 'sensor failure' in the comment, and then look to the left of it you'll see a number like 210T. Subtract 40 from that number and that's the temperature in degrees F that will be substituted if your sensor is shorted or open).

As for the incorrect reading you're getting, have you properly compiled the ECU firmware and reflashed the ECU with the new calibration file, and also configured MegaTune to use the new .inc too?