OIl, If you cant get Silver Synta.......

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Andy947, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Dub20vt Forum Member

if it's a semi it should be a 50/50 mix hence semi.

synta siver i believe is only 12% synthetic.

2. GolfBryan Forum Member

Cool, didnt realise, thought it could be any ratio! :)

3. Joe_G Forum Member

If you don't go for the Quantum oil, look that the new oil conforms to standards VW 500 00 and VW 505 00.

Most have this stamped on them somewhere.

Not sure on the Castrol debate but all I can say from my experience is that I've used Quantum synta on every car I've ever serviced and never had any problems. I think if you change the oil regularly (<6k) then it's not such a great issue whether the oil is that great. For track work tho etc. where v.high oil temps will be seen it's much more important.

Joe

4. zappa16v Forum Member

Based on what I've seen I'm more than happy to keep using my magnatec and the like.
    If my engine blows up I'm sure you'll be able to see, hear, and smell it here first.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: .

5. The Pig Forum Member

It's personal choice as I said.

Just read up on the subject and make and informed decision before choosing an oil for your next oil change rather than believing the advertising, me or anyone else for that matter.

The original post asked for opinions, which is exactly what they got. My opinion is based on bitter personal experience and would hate for anyone on here to fall foul of the same......

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's been discussed, and I've posted up all the evidence, a billion times before. So I can't be arsed looking it all out again, do a search.
    Castrol infer that Magnatec is a semi-synth. It contains no synthetic oil at all - check their hazard sheets, where they describe it as "highly refined mineral oil". That's why they were taken to court. They've also been in court for making bullshit claims about their Syntec fuel additives, and lost.
    Just because a company spends a fortune on (false or misleading) advertising doesn't mean it makes a great oil.

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The oil they give you (SLX longlife) is made to VW specification by Castrol, not made to Castrol specification by Castrol. It doesn't make any difference who blends the oil, if someone else (VW) dictate what goes into it.

8. mark25 Forum Junkie

I had a similar experience with cheap (2.99 IIRC) oil a few (15 or so) years back. The oil pressure started to drop dramatically in less than 1000 miles. I changed the oil for good stuff and got my oil pressure back, i was very supprised at the time, having been expecting the worse! I vowed then NEVER to put cheap oil in an engine again, even as part of a flush process.

9. prof Forum Addict

Andy do you have a halfrauds up there? as it's cold the halfrauds 5w/40 fully synth should be ok. Mobil one 10w/50 is f**kin thick and won't help initial oil circulation on cold starts and costs loads

10. greg s Forum Member

I'm running my 9A on 2.76 "Formula 1" multigrade at the moment.
    That's some serious quality stuff. Years of research gone into it, no
    doubt. If you can buy it in Morrison's it must be top notch. :lol:

It's part of a flush - coming out today.

11. prof Forum Addict

but isn't SLX 0w/40???
    whatever you do don't put that in a mk2 FFS

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

No halfords up here, jus the local motor factros, which is really goood. I;ve used castrol in the past and cant say i've had any problems but whos to tell really.

Can get comma, duckhams and a few other brands, none of which have been mentioned.

:)

13. The Pig Forum Member

Thought I recommended Duckhams in the absence of Synta ? I used it in all my cars since my GTX "incident" and never had any problems.

14. prof Forum Addict

any 10/40 semi synth will be ok [other than castrol ;)]just change it more often if you are worried.

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Cheers Ta :)

16. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Not that i use castrol anyway but i will be advising people to steer well clear from now on after what 'The Pig' just said.

Cheers for the story mate.