’88 digi - back to stock or not?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Robin Bruce, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Robin Bruce New Member

I want to tidy up my car and am thinking to myself - back to stock or not?
    The car currenlty has its red bumper stripes blacked out, is wearing a 2 light CL grill with a black badge and is sporting a GTD badge on the back.
    I was toying with the idea of big bumpers - my chin spoiler was really staring to get on my nerves with all the speed bumps around here - but now I'm not sure.

What do you reckon, back to stock?

2. jake Forum Member

back to stock, mostly people like to modify their own to thier tastes, not that I'm knocking yours, pretty much sounds like one of mine :)

3. Robin Bruce New Member

yup - i think stock is prolly best

i have a few questions - my GTD badge is an old style one with the thinner lettering and a small vw badge in the middle of the tailgate. What are the correct badges for a '88 8v? Should there be a gti badge on the front grill also?
    Cheers

4. jake Forum Member

Yup should be one on the grill and the rear one is quite close to the ones as used on later cars i.e. 90 spec ones but with a very slightly differnt width of type.

5. swi01 New Member

def back to stock mate,

my golf's managed to go sixteen years without being molested (well cosmetically anyway) and it would be good to see a few more like that.

bring her back to the way god, sorry wolfsburg intended...

6. Robin Bruce New Member

oh no - i just found a set of big bumpers for sale in my colour and
    I'm tempted again...

My small bumpers have the headlight washers installed... can these
    be moved over to big bumpers if i decide to go that way? anyone
    done it before?

Also - big bumpers means 90 spec trim - its the law - is it easy to
    change the trim over or is the car likely to need respraying in the
    process. Are there any guides for swapping to 90 spec trim out
    there...

I know I should stick with the small bumpers but i just love that 90
    spec look...

7. Trinity Forum Member

Swapping the trim is easiy, arches are a doddle, and the mouldings clip on. The only problem you may find is when you remove the original mouldings, they may have cut into the paint or lacquer leaving you with a horrible white indentation, or worse, rust. Doubt you will need a full respray, but some of the panels may need doing. However there so low down, you could have a go yourself, wont be that noticeable if you balls it up a little.. as for guidelines...um, drill the pop rivets out on the original arches, and pop rivet the new arches on...take the mouldings off (pull from the bottom) and clip the new ones on. As for the sills, bit of a pain, get some hard core glue (araldite or something similar) apply it to the clips...best to have two of you doing this...hold it up to sill and keep it there for ages! then run a layer of mastic down the top just to seal it...self tappers underneath where they meet the arches and bobs your uncle. Dont waste money on the retainer strips from VW, dont last more than 6 months..this method last forever...

8. Trinity Forum Member

oh and back to stock? how many people are doing that this year?!! will be very boring at the shows as a stock car, is stock, they all look the same. When youve seen one, youve pretty much seen them all..