’89 1.6 Golf Driver - Smoke/Oil

Discussion in 'Engines' started by GrahamO, Nov 12, 2005.

1. GrahamO New Member

I recently acquired a Mk2 Driver with 130k on the clock and have ran it the past 3k with no mechanical problems whatsoever.

Tonightwhen I was driving (engine warm)the car spluttered for a few seconds, followed by a visible greyish smoke from the engine bay, which remained at the same consistency whether or not the engine was idle or being driven.

Luckily I was only 5 minutes away from home so I drove the car back, the car drove fine and the engine remained at normal operating temperature so I'm guessing it's not a coolant problem (I could be wrong!).

I've tried some research but not found anything concrete and I've just been outside to have a look under the bonnet but it's too dark to have a real look... BUT... there is quite a large pool of oil under the car (it's never leaked a drop in the time I've owned it).

Before I take a look tomorrow under daylight and take it to a mechanic, is anybody able to forward any thoughts/experience on what the possible problem may be?

Engine doesn't appear to be burning oil and there's no "dirty" exhaust fumes if that's another factor to consider.

Many thanks to anybody who can contribute!

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Smell the oil - if it smells like a mix of electrician's BO and cat's piss, then it's gearbox oil. It really smells that bad....
    If not, get it on the ramps and look for engine leaks...

3. GrahamO New Member

Agreed, it does smell foul. If it's gearbox oil, is it likely just to be a mainshaft seal or is it more likely something more serious in this case?

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Sudden gearbox leaks are usually due to the box chucking out a rivet, the casing bursting, and basically gearbox death.
    Does it smell REALLY fucking rank? Sulphurous?
    Compare it with your engine oil from the dipstick to make sure, but it sounds like you may well have the infamous SMS.......Self Machining Syndrome, where they eat their way out of the casing. Check underneath the car, you'll be able to see where the leak is.

5. GrahamO New Member

After a better look this morning I'm not entirely convinced it's the gearbox. There's not been any more oil leaking and it's quite clean, almost identical to that on the dipstick.

I've fired the engine up, which started instantly as always but for some reason the timing is atrocious and the engine is rocking with it. This stays the same whether I have the clutch in or out.

The smoking I described at the beginning appears again after the engine has been running for 20 seconds or so and I'm scared to keep it running incase it's doing anymore damage.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could be coolant leaking from the inlet manifold o'ring and burning off on the exhaust manifold, had the same on my Driver.

Can you see where the smoke is coming from?

7. GrahamO New Member

Had it checked out today, as "TheSecondComing" predicted the gearbox has thrown a rivet and punctured the seal.

Car is driveable but under extreme caution! Car is/will be available for sale as soon as I getmy V5 back if anybody is interested in some spare parts or wishes to repair. Engine is sound.