’90 golf gti wont start

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by marga, Oct 2, 2005.

1. marga New Member

not long bought a golf gti 8v on a '90 plate, with 137,000miles on clock,it was driving ok, juddered at 100, but cool other than that, the mpg etc readout was wrong/faulty but the car started ok and ran. cruising down the motorway at @75-80 and the car cutout and refuses to start.[:^(] i removed the immobiliser on the road side in case it was a fault in that, but no joy. it is not even turning the starter motor, and the mpg clock is now reading a broken lcd display, ie, display something, but its unreadable,mishmash. help?i havent owned a golf in 7-8yrs, and even then it was a mk1 gli cab, so am completely outa touch with potential faults? any help, greatly appreciated!!

2. marga New Member

ok, it was earth strap broke away from engine block. mech said it could be ECU. once it lost the earth, it blew the ECU, is this possible?spoke to someone else they thought it would be ignition coil/switch?

the rev counter is stuck at 400 rpm

any ideas guys?
    Edited by: marga

3. Mat-R Forum Member

Hi there, I do believe that what you have been told is true. If the main earth from the gearbox to the bodyis interupted whilst the system is live, it would fry the ECU.

But then again this is good news, as they are easily sourced as a 2nd hand spare and even easier to fit!

4. marga New Member

i really need help guys[:^(]fitted a 2nd hand ecu and its still doing the same thing[:x], and im stuck, aint got no car, so cant go anywhere? getting bored stuck in my flat, and i would really like to solve this, as the rest of the vehicle is in immaculate condition. where can i look next? i can hear the fuel pump kick in(i think?), when i turn the key, but battery is slightly flat, so was jumping it from my mates tdi. also, rev counter is no longer stuck at 4000.....which means the earth is refitted ok??i heard about how a ecu failure can stick injectors?or oil filter and oil??is this right? will i have to replace oil and filter?how do i check if im getting a spark? im not mechanically minded, but due to finances, im having to learn quickly.....

thanks for any help with this peeps, im lost and frustrated with it,[​IMG]

dan

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ok m8,

you need to remove the battery and charge it.

when you replace it,just check that its holding good charge,stick the full beam on,heater on,and press the horn...

everything seem ok? then turn everything off.

remove 1 spark plug lead,and remove the spark plug.

stick the plug back into the lead,and rest the side of the plug on some nice/clean metal,rocker covers ok if theres no paint on it.

now get a mate to turn the car over,no throttle,while watching for a good strong/fast spark from the pin on the plug to the center tip.

once you have checked for a spark,maybe repeat this process on the other 3 plugs.

im thinking maybe the hall senders given up in the dizzy.

neil.

6. Boris Forum Member

Also check the wiring in the engine for breaks. I had a similar problem which turned out to be one of the wires going to the injector rack (behind rocker cover, connector on right hand side of engine), which had broken. No fuel getting to engine, no fire up.

Also check none of your fuses have gone, or even better, replace the main one's anyway, sometimes they can look fine, but be fused anyway.

7. marga New Member

ok, thanks, on saturday, im devoting the day to it :). can a fuse really go and appear not too?they all look ok, fuel pump fire up,just dont catch, i post how i get on and will check the wire. im gonna try the hall sender, ig coil, ig amplifier. question? anyone got the layout and relay numbers for fuse box,only for the realay. also heard possibility of certain ones going? poor quality or something? any help?

thanks peeps

M

8. vwgolfgtimkii Forum Member

To check the hall sender is working, stick a bit of wire inside the middle pin hole on the dizzy plug then touch it against the block, to see if there is a spark, might be a little easier than than removing each of the sparkies
    Edited by: vwgolfgtimkii