’98 GTI reliabilty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Wilbur Snoy, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Wilbur Snoy New Member

i'm looking at a used '98 GTI VR6, 91k miles.

i know volkswagen has a fairly good reputation but is there something i might be missing about the 98 GTI?

also about how much would a new clutch cost me, labor included.

2. mattwelcer

mattwelcer Forum Member

Try the forums on VWVortex they might be able to help you better. As here in Europe the GTI is a 4 cyl engine, it was never a 6cyl! ;)

3. druids16v New Member

As a general rule of thumb the vr6 motors were pretty reliable.

my friend has had problems with the engine showing signs of a blown head gasket.

once we took off the head,we realised it was fine and itturned out to be the waterpump.

the only other problems he has had are with one of the upper hoses spliting causing it to run rough on idle.

has the motor had a good service history?

clutch itself should cost you around 100. as for labour it really depends where you go. its a fairly big job. afew hours work assuming you have the right equipment. try contacting some local garages. its worth buying the part yourself then getting them to fit it if you dont fancy the job yourself. as the clutch should be cheaper and you get to choose the manufacturer. but its worth checking what they will charge you for there clutch.

haldex (spelling?) make good quality clutches that should give you much better pick up and millage

hope this helps.

Edited by: druids16v