’Puter probs

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by mark, Aug 5, 2004.

1. mark Forum Member

My friend is having some problems with her computer. Its running 512mb DDR, Athlon XP 1.3ghz, 36gb hdd and Win 98SE.

Whenever you boot it up and start using it, it runs really slow and after you use a few applications be it My Computer/word/ie etc you get a 'There is not enough memory to run this program' error. Once that appears you cant do a thing with it.

I have run a virus checker (she didnt have one) and found 469 viruses!?!?!?, got rid of them but the prob is still there. Also ran adaware/spybot/pestpatrol too.

I have read on the net that Win 98SE has probs with large ram so i capped the memory to 256mb using msconfig - but the problem is still there.

Any ideas??

2. Darkus Forum Member

I think the problem in win 98se. Too old! Win XP is old these days, let alone 'ME'. Get a copy of XP and you cant go wrong.

3. Jeff Forum Junkie

how can windows XP be old? there isnt anything else newer! :lol:

dont go near ME. Have a look in start->programs->startup and see if anythings in there that shouldnt be. Sounds like something is running that doesnt want to be. To use up 512Mb. Make sure windows knows its actually got 512Mb too!

4. mark Forum Member

it knows it has 512mb, i even stuck a stuck of my 512 DDR in it but it was the same.

i think i will just stick XP on there and be done with it.

5. Jeff Forum Junkie

sticking Xp on will probably cure it, and so will formatting it and re-installing 98SE. My guess is somethings running that shouldnt be, using up all your memory.

if youre going to start afresh you might as well put xp on though.

6. Bharat Forum Member

There was a MAJOR, yet basic design flay in the older Windows (95, 98 and ME) which cause this problem.

Without going into the intricacies and confusing you totally, I'll just agree with the suggestions already given.

Get WinXP on it, and 1st thing you must do is install all the update patches to cover up the cock-ups of Microsoft.

Once done, get a decent antivirus software (AVG is great) and also a good Spyware blocking/removal program.

These have become the absolute must in today's environment.

Edited by: Bharat

7. Noodleman Forum Member

Windows 98SE... ah, those were the days.

I would sugest updating as soon as possible, win98 is so old, it is no longer supported by microsoft. (only for large scale businesses)

When i used to run windows98, i was re-installing it on a monthly basis. Windows 98 was a fantastic enviroment, until you have had it installed for a while, and have lots of programs installed, then it starts to go wrong.

Your best bet, is to upgrade. Recovering from that many virus as well, is also not a good idea, as any one of them could have done some major, permanent damage to the operating system.

I would go to at least win2k, at least its still supported etc.

8. buzzby Forum Member

run all the spyware scanners you can find and then run windows update, Check and update mobo drivers

9. hayesey Forum Junkie

get XP on there. it's a 100 times more robust than the windows 95 variants. since it's based on windows NT.

that PC is more than capable of running XP at a good speed.

Go for XP Professional if you're going to get a free copy ;)

if you prefer to pay for your software then Home will be cheaper.