0-60mph time of 13secs for 1.3?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G-Man, Aug 18, 2005.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

On two occasions this week, I thought I'd try a 0-60 using the old stopwatch as the last time I did it was with my old polo, which hit 60 in 19 seconds, and my parents 1.25 fiesta in 12 seconds.

Monday, hit the gas, got to 60 in 12.8 seconds-so suprised as book states 16 secs so I gave it a go last nite.

Last night I got 12.7 seconds.

My car is standard, non modified in any sense-any other 1.3 owners get this kinda 0-60? Plus I'm not sure how inaccurate my speedo is!

2. Your car is a beast!!

3. jjarvis Forum Junkie

I used to have a 1.3 - I'd have thought 13 seconds sounded more accurate than 19.

Couldn't imagine having one again now though :lol:;)

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

I know, I always take on EVO's, M3's, R32's-leave them in dust! :lol: Harry_the_cake, sounds like fight talk! I'll whoooppp your ass in my 1.3! Pure carb, 1300cc, 55bhp, 4 speed gearbox-even the specs make you weep! ;)

Nah, just my parets fiesta does 60mph in 12 secs but feels so much faster than my golf for some odd reason! The 19 seconds was for my 1L polo mk2 with a headgasket on the way out and 145K! Probably pushing 40hp if I was lucky!

My engine is in very good condition and smooth for its age (we have plummed a lot of cash on it though!). Just seems to be running sweeter the more miles I put on it??

However yes, its snail paced slow, can't overtake. Putting pedal to the metal only uses more fuel without going anywhere faster, so its all about the cruizing for me!

Edited by: G-Man

5. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

Bad news on the speedo front ;)

Most over-read, so go up to 65mph or so for a more accurate reading. Or try to borrow a gps speedo to find out how accurate yours is and then you know where to go to.

I as horrified when I put one in my Scirocco [:^(] But bizzarly mine seems to over-read by 7mph all the way to the end of the clock... I've had it off the rev limiter in 5th a few times and that is a genuine 127mph, but the speedo reads 135mph...

Brunty

6. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

yep.. and if they are non standed wheels/alloys and i guess yours are 15", the mk2 was relased with 14" wheels.. that will effect it!(not sure if the gti was 15" though)

7. Unknown Forum Junkie

the 1.3 cars got skinny 13inch rims so you'll get a better time with them on it. Grip is not really an issue with them sadly. I'll time mine if I get a chance.

Anyone managed to do a properly timed 1/4 mile in a 1.3?

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

If my car is still alive next year-santa pod here i come! Also wanna run a 1/4 mile as it is now, then strip it bare to see the difference

9. garfayliu Forum Member

Wow at last someone that has 0-60 times I can compete with... my 1.4L heavy mk3 is pityful, city traffic and twisty A-roads is great, but drag race :( friends 1.3 16V micra beat my golf.
    Think my 0-60 is around 13secs... thats some peoples 1/4mile!
    I'm too embarassed to try 1/4mile, considered it at Inters.

My previous mk2 1.3 was quite nippy but not as refined as the mk3.

Does anyone have any real life weights of cars? It would be interesting to find the diff between smaller engined mk2 and mk3 golfs and also the polo mk4.

10. kirby Forum Junkie

I've timed mine to 60 in 12.4, book says 15.
    I've got 16's on mine with 195/40/16 tyres so my rolling radius is slightly larger than standard, so if the speedo says 70 mph I will actually be doing 72.88 mph (thats if my speedo was completely accurate) so I wouldn't have though my speedo would be too far out now maybe 3 mph max.

You can work yours out here

[:D]

11. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

i timed about the same in my old 1.3, with the same method :)

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

Good good, glad others get the same time!

13. ciscodisco New Member

you know what they say- old golfs never die, they just get faster

<!--
    var SymRealOnLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

SymOnLoad()
    {
    if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
    SymRealOnLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
    window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

True-don't think my 1.3 is getting faster, just drives smoother and the engine revs sweetly now. The engine is really quiet when driving, and without a rev gauge can be hard to tell how hard i'm booting it at times.

15. Cleggstar Forum Member

my old one was like that, just before the engine blew up! :lol:
    Edited by: Cleggstar