02 gearbox shaft bush?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by frank4, Feb 24, 2008.

1. frank4 Forum Member

I removed the box from my mk2 16v and was changing the clutch and when I removed the flywheel, this part dropped out, it has an intenal diameter of about 12mm?

[​IMG]

I think it slides inside the input shaft and the clutch actuating rod passses though it? I have a couple of questions.

O. Even with this part fitted inside the shaft there is still loads of free sideways movement in the rod, is there another part missing?

O. As you see it is slightly damaged, how critical is it? Or would it be okay to smooth out the burrs and simply put it back on reassembly/

Thanks.

2. mk28vICED Forum Member

me thinks that was the mainshaft seal that has been mullered,
    is there no brass bush in the end of the gearbox mainshaft?
    do a search for mainshaft bush or pushrod seal and something might come up.
    ive replaced it before and posted some pictures. it was an 020 box.
    the seal is 3 odd and the bush 2 from GSF.
    see brokevw.com it shows you how to do it.

3. frank4 Forum Member

mk28vICED thanks for your help it was really useful. I checked out what you said and I definitely do not have either the bush or the seal. I found some pics of what I think I need. A quick question, how far down the shaft does the bush go, just below the depth of the seal or deeper? I will also replace the mainshaft to gearbox seal.

This explains why I've had the box off twice in the last couple of weeks for a slipping clutch, I thought the little bit of oil that was there was coming through the bell housing gasket..
    [:$]

[​IMG]

4. rupe Forum Member

Just tap it down till it stops.

http://www.brokevw.com/020seal.html

5. frank4 Forum Member

Thanks Rupe, hopefully my local GSF will have it all in stock. I really need to get the engine and box back in tomorrow...[:s]