020 box broken?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by CrazyNick, May 13, 2010.

1. CrazyNick Forum Member

I have a mk1 gti with a 16v engine using the original rod change gearbox.

I get a Knock when i change gear or suddenly accelerate. It is worse in the lower gears. It has progresively gotten worse to the state where it also makes a slight grind noise in first and second just after the knock.

I jacked it up one side at a time and spun the wheel back and forth. It felt ****. When i engaged first gear and tried the same thing there was about an inch of play in the wheel.
    I have checked all the cv bolts and wheel bolts and all the bolts

Has my diff gone? do i need a new box?

Thanks

2. l-o-m-a-x Forum Member

I'd check the condition of the engine and gearbox mounts first - when you change gear the whole lot might be moving and crashing about - can you rock the engine a lot in the bay? If yes then replace the mounts first to eliminate these.

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Yeah, definately do the mounts first.

There is generally a bit of `slop` in the drivetrain, so I wouldn`t be too concerned about that at the moment.

If the grinding is still there after doing the mounts, I`d check the CVs. Excessive movement of the engine/gearbox due to duff mounts could have caused them to wear.

4. CrazyNick Forum Member

I dont think it is a CV joint because it would still make the noise if i was coasting, would it not?
    I shall check the front and rear mounts tomorow. I know the rear one is new, but suppose it could have come loose.

Thanks for replys

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Most commonly a knock on acceleration/gear change will be due to a knacked front mount. Generally only when reversing would you notice a problem with the gearbox mount.

And, yes, a worn CV would tend to make itself known most of the time.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

an 8v box i tried did this, could spot there was a lot of free play in the diff. upon stripdown it was plain the diff bearing races were utter scrap. my 16v box has next to no freeplay in the diff and no more noises, even with the crappy knackered cv joints i had at the time :lol: