020 box clattering noise in reverse..?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by rich81, Jul 12, 2011.

1. rich81 Forum Member

I've just fitted a second hand CHB code 020 box into my mk2 at the same time as a 2l bottom end. Unfortunately it seems to be duff as there's a not very nice rattly/clattery sort of sound in reverse only... all forward gears seem fine.

Done an oil change on it aswell. Do you think I ought to swop my old box back in before this one dies? Is it a diff problem or something?

2. rich81 Forum Member

Also I've also rebuilt all the gearlinkage with new bushes etc when this went it. I don't have the setting tool to clamp the gearlever etc so just did the pinch bolt by eye... could it be something to do with not being in gear properly?

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The 2Y I fitted last year does this. It's been ok for about 10k, it'll work but it'll sound awful in reverse.

I THINK there's a way of repairing it although I haven't really explored it.

4. spazz New Member

Sounds to me that your reverse idler and possibly your 1-2 hub teeth are damaged.

The teardown is pretty straight foward. Broke has an excellent DIY on how to do this