020 box seals - complete set renewal - pics.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Doddsy, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Doddsy Forum Member

I've bought a kit;

http://www.autogear.ltd.uk/volkswagen/vw-golf-020-02y-oil-seal-set-gti-edition.html

It contains the following

2x Differential Oil Seals

2x Differential Dust Caps

1x Input Oil Seal

1x Push Rod Seal

1x Clutch Arm Seal

1x Selector Seal.

Trying to work out where these are supposed to go. The first 2 are obviously the flange seals and caps.

There is a pushrod seal and bearing - note there is no mention of a bearing in there description of content.

The clutch arm seal and the selector seal are roughly the same size and definately not the bigger one that is in the kit. The bigger one to me looks like the input shaft seal. See pic below.

Help on pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Also the flange seals should come out with a screwdriver as a lever according to Broke but mine are solid, not sure if I'm happy to put more force on them than I've already tried![:s]

[​IMG]

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

There isn`t a pushrod bearing, but rather a small brass bush that is pressed in before the seal.

Check Broke`s site again. There`s a fairly comprehensive guide to changing the seal/bush. :thumbup:

3. Doddsy Forum Member

Yes that's clear. I'm using Brokes guide for this so no worries with that. Pic below shows the kit I've got from them - it's the same as pictured on the website...

In the picture 3rd from right that seal must be either the clutch arm seal or the selector seal as their list of content suggests - there is only 1 so it can't be both...

Autogear are not responding to my email - makes me think I've missed the point.

[​IMG]

4. danster Forum Addict

Two big ones are diff output shafts, then selector shaft, clutch actuating arm, input shaft bush and input shaft seal.

5. Doddsy Forum Member

selector shaft:

[​IMG]

If this is the case then this doesn't fit mine. It too big. looks more like this one - which I've not yet found any info on getting it out.

[​IMG]

6. danster Forum Addict

Ok, that would mean the one I said was for selector shaft is actually for the input shaft, and the one I said for the clutch actuating arm is actually for the selector shaft. :thumbup:
    Tricky to tell the scale in the photo.

7. Doddsy Forum Member

I've not made it very easy to see what sizes are like. I think there is no selector shaft seal in this kit - instead there is a input shaft seal. I also think that this is perhaps a misprint from Autogear, will wait and see what they have to say to this. The input seal is probably more important to change as this will have a moving part in it at all times unlike the selector shaft... I had a slight oil leak in the bellhouse so hopefully this will sort it out. How do you get this seal out with out opening the box?

8. danster Forum Addict

To remove the input shaft seal is a little tricky.
    You need to drill a small hole in the seal, about 3mm in size just go through the seal and no more. It will need to be quite close the outer edge. You then screw in a self tapping screw a little way and then pull the self tapping screw with a set of vice grips and it should pull the seal out. You could try drilling two holes at say 3 and 9 o clock positions and use two screws as this will maybe pull the seal out easier.

If you have a look at your new seals you will see that the holes need to be quite near the outer edge or you will just miss the metal and catch the rubber.

9. Doddsy Forum Member

Cheers Danster - I was starting to think it would be something involving drilling a hole in it. This is what my bellhouse looked like - baring in mind it's done 175,000 on one clutch does this look like it's the input seal that need doing? Think I'm just going to do it to be sure.

[​IMG]

10. danster Forum Addict

If the box is out and you got the new seals just get it done.
    It will wreck a new clutch if it leaks oil from the input shaft, be it from the clutch push rod seal or the input shaft to gearbox casing.
    Better safe than sorry.

Just be careful not to mark the gearbox casing when removing the old input shaft seal.
    The seal has only got about 1mm thick metal forming the shape so you only have to drill this small amount. Not the hole thickness of the seal. :thumbup: