020 Clutch fitting

Discussion in 'Engines' started by DuBDuDe, Jan 3, 2009.

1. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Do you have to use thread lock on the big pressure plate retaining bolts? And also do any of you lot use centre tools when refitting the clutch? Because i haven't got one......

2. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    if you want to use thread-lock use it wont do any harm, however ive never noticed any when removing them - i think there is a torque setting but i dont do torque wrenches much;)

as far as getting the clutch central just gauge by eye with the help of an appropriate hand tool (open end of 10mm spanner) at 0,90,180,270 degress - always works spot on.

3. DuBDuDe Forum Member

ta mate. nice looking golf you have there by the way ;) looks like someone elses that i know [:D]

4. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    nice from far, far from nice is the term you are looking for! its had a few changes since that pics - but its in hibernation now.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the proper new bolts come with threadlock pre-applied. Use a torque wrench and dont re-use the old ones. For the cost of new its not worth risking your flywheel falling off at 6k rpm, sawing thru the bulkhead and killing a passenger...

6. erantomer Forum Member

but the flywheel turns anticlockwise, so it will kill the passenger in the car in front of you.[:D]

7. paul_c Forum Member

x2 and here's a quick tip, all credit to Broke for this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

my clutch kit came with the new ones inside and as mentioned pre thread locked,there were 2 settings in the haynes so i did the highest one think it was 100nm

9. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Mines all fitted now. the lower torque setting is for bolts without shoulders. Mine came pre thread locked as well. Should have checked before posting! lol.