020 clutch problem

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by vr6syncro, Nov 8, 2009.

1. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Hi there,
    I recently had to change the pushrod seal in the gearbox of my mk2 16 valver and ever since the clutch pedal intermittently goes rock hard, like every 5 to 10 presses. When it does i have to double clutch it and force the car into gear, but generally it is fine. There were no issues before removing the gearbox so i'm wondering if this could be related to the way i changed the pushrod seal, or the self adjusting cable that it's still running?
    What do you think?

Just for reference, i couldn't find an exact guide on how to change the pushrod seal on it's own, so i had to assume i could simply withdraw the pushrod from the input shaft (clutch end), change the seal and bush, then insert it back in. Is that correct or should i have taken the cover from the release arm/release bearing end for any reason?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

I am aware of Broke's site and have looked through it, however it doesn't answer my question which is why i've posted on here. The pushrod guide assumes the box is being stripped, which is what i didn't want to do. There must be someone who has replaced the pushrod bush and seal that can explain how they did it.
    So, my problem above still stands.

4. Broke Forum Member

I just didn't have a full trans to show it on (honestly, it is much harder working inside the confines of the bellhousing), but the procedure is the same.

In the pics, it shows the tools needed to either pull it out or knock it out, depending on how much access you have to the ends of the shaft.

You are fine with pulling the pushrod and changing the parts and putting the rod back in:thumbup:

As for the problem with the pedal getting solid, my guess would be in the cable locking up solid. I'd try to replace the cable (ideally with a manual adjustment cable) and see if it still acts up, then go from there.

Brian

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If there's a gearbox question you have not answered by broke's site then you're not reading it properly :lol:

as broke said the procedure for changing the bush and seal is the same regardless of if the gearbox is complete or in pieces! Even if you take the shaft out, you still cant remove the bush unless you either cut a thread into it, or tap it out from behind by sliding something down the back end of the shaft. This you can do simply by removing the green cap and popping out the release bearing, easy.