020 clutch slip. Sachs clutch.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by vwp6n, Dec 11, 2014.

1. vwp6n Forum Member

Evening people.

Has anyone had issues with clutch slip when the clutch gets hot? I have a sachs clutch fitted and day to day driving it's fine, can take abuse and not slip.

Noticed when I go on a longer journey, mainly long motorway journeys and the clutch gets hot when you plant it in 5th or even change down to 4th and gun it it slips, I was advised to change the automatic cable to a manual setup but this hasn't solved the issue.

The crank seal is dry and no leaks and the clutch is new also.

The car is a 2l ABF on kjet running a 3.94FD.

Is the standard clutch not rated for this application? Maybe require an uprated setup?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I ran stock LUK and Sachs Clutch kits not problem on 1.8 to ABF 2.0 16v motors.
    I only broke those from over driving, or invoked slip at high loads/high gears, if there were oil leaks that worked their way to the flywheel surface.

3. vwp6n Forum Member

Hmm very odd, where have you found the leak come from? Crank seal? Gearbox?

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The very short explanation after a very long post mortem into clutch slip was, a slow leak from half moon on cam cover gasket, weeped down the block and into the gearbox bellhousing. This was picked up by the spinning input shaft and shot on to the disc and flywheel. Kicking the clutch while the car was moving cause slip, which worsened as the gear numbers increased.

The same can happen if the oil filter cooler seals leak as well.

:thumbup:

5. i had clutch slip with a new sachs clutch on my ABF also, was due to engine oil leak contaminating the clutch.
    also when you think about it the highest power output a stock 020 clutch is designed to deal with is approx 137bhp from a 1.8 kjet.

an ABF is pushing this setup to the limits.

6. vwp6n Forum Member

Definitely worth a look when I take the engine and box out. Had a crank seal leak before but changed that the last time when I fitted the 3.94 box setup.

Any other things to check while it's out?

7. i always tend to give the flywheel and pressure plate faces a light rough up with sandpaper when replacing a clutch.
    IMO it helps the friction plate to wear in.
    also check the small rubber o-ring that seals the input shaft / clutch push rod.
    there is a brass bush inside the input shaft that can wear and cause side to side play of the push rod which causes the little seal to leak.

8. vwp6n Forum Member

Thanks for the replies on this, the gearbox has been recently rebuilt and don't think it's anything to do with that.

The setup is coming out for the winter anyway so will check for possible engine leaks causing the slip. Hopefully next year is the year itl run without any issues slip wise.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

make sure you have around 10mm of free play when you grab the clutch cable at the box engine and lift upwards. a little more or less is ok but you have to have at least some play, and check again when its hot in case things expand and take up your play.

pushrod bush bush and seal plus input shaft seal worth a look, dependign on who built the box something may have been missed possibly