020 Flange Replacement

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by jayp, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jayp New Member

I have just changed the gearbox on my 1987 Mk2 Golf 1.6, only to find that the output flanges on the new gearbox are bigger. I took the flanges out of the old gearbox, but as they are spring loaded can't put them back in.

I have seen the tool used on www.brokevw.com, but my question is there a tool i can buy to compress the springs, as I don't have time to make one.

Does anyone know of any other ways to compress the springs?

Cheers

2. Golden Forum Junkie

All you need is a decent 8mm bolt just long enough and any piece of thickish metal with a hole in it, put the bolt through the hole and wind it down until it compresses the spring enough to get the circlip off.

If the bolt is too long use some spacers but don't keep winding it when it's bottomed out and bugger the threads in the output shaft.

This is where I show my really bodgy side, then to get the flange off I use a pair of 8mm bolts and wind them through the flange and put a big pry bar between the bolt and the casing, then use the bolt to wind the flange off.

Then to refit use the long bolt and the piece of steel with a hole in it.

3. jayp New Member

if i was to use a 8mm bolt and the piece of metal that wouldn't leave me much room to put the circlip back on when refitting.

I'm hoping that i can change the flanges over without having to remove the box from the car, any one done this before?

4. mexicorich Forum Member

I just pushed hard on the flange to compress the springS and worked the circlip back in. Are you both girls?

5. Broke Forum Member

M10 x 1.50 bolt;)

You can make a much easier tool than shown on my site, just bend a bar in a square U shape, as shown in this pic from the Peloquins site...

[​IMG]

And yes, the job can be done in the car, but it'll drain some fluid out when you pop the flanges out.

Broke

6. mexicorich Forum Member

Actually what's this about winding the flange off?

Once the circlips are out the flanges launch themselves off?

7. Broke Forum Member

I must be as well, I find doing it even with the compressor and awesome circlip pliers that it is a pain sometimes.:lol:

Not all of them pop off, newer models and those with flanges still tight require the flanges to be pulled from the trans, even with the spring behind it helping. Some are on quite tight.

Broke

8. rupe Forum Member

I made this to get mine off/on

[​IMG]

9. Golden Forum Junkie

[:$] Cheers Broke, I'm old and forgetful :lol: [:$]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  10. Golden Forum Junkie

I've had box's like this but you have to ask yourself if the spring is supplying the right ammount of pre-load if you can push the flange in by hand.

I said flange :lol: