020 FM box into mk1?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by VR666M, Jun 24, 2007.

1. VR666M Forum Member

Is the FM code box one of the close ratio boxes that are good in a mk1?

Cheers

2. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

As far as I can recall, the FM and FD boxes were from the 1.6 GTI Mk1s.

These had a 3.89 final drive with 3.45, 2.12, 1.44, 1.13, 0.91 ratios.

Hope this helps.

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

4. VR666M Forum Member

Cool, The answer I was hoping for.

James, teh page doesnt work, but there is an FM code box on the 'bay, conviniently located in my home town:lol:

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

See previous post in this section:

close ratio 020 gearbox and motorsport diff

6. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

There are a coiuple of things to bear in mind with the FM box.

Firstly, it has the earlier style flanges. Unlike the later ones, it doesn't have the shim and springs to load against the diff - so there is virtually no torque required to break the diff.

Secondly, the flanges are 90mm and because of the nature of the earlier flanges, the later 100mm items won't retro fit.

Lastly, again due to the different flanges, the oil seals are different to later boxes. These aren't available from the dealers (deleted 1991) and depending on who you talk to, are not available anywhere. However, Midland VW have said previously that they can get seals for these boxes.

These are the same ratios as the 2Y box (Mk2 16V) but with the shorter final drive. Lairy_1 (Matt) on here ran this box in his Mk1 G60 and the acceleration was quite vicious...but constantly changing gears and topping out in fifth far too quickly! Sitting on the motorway at 70mph meant cruising at about 4500rpm (when coupled to his 13" rims.)

Hope this helps!