020 gearbox advice

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by moffatt, May 2, 2011.

1. moffatt Forum Member

got to change the gearbox on my 16v and the one on it is a 2Y code,can anyone please tell me if u can fit any 020 gearbox regardless of the code or does it have to be a 2Y

2. possle Forum Member

yeah. mk1/ mk2/ early mk3 i think to.
    make sure you change the gearbox flanges to 100mm or your driveshafts wont fit. thats asuming mk2's has 100mm joints

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes you can fit other 020 boxes. noty just the flanges you have to worry about though, if you fit a non mk2 16v/mk3 2.0 8v gearbox you'll also have to change the clutch kit for a mk2 gti 8v one.

the flanges on mk2 gti boxes are 100mm same as the 16v, as are 90spec 1.8 carb and post 88ish mk1 cabby/scirocco 1.8 boxes

4. possle Forum Member

is it the spline size which is the problem john? or size of friction plate

5. rubjonny

spline size on the box itself, you can use 190-210mm clutch in any 020 gearbox regardless of what car its from. though you'll struggle to find a large spline clutch smaller than 210mm :p

edit: though if say you had a 1.6 and wanted to fit a 210mm clutch, note that you'll also have to swap the flywheel for a 210mm one. but your old box will fit over it no bother

6. possle Forum Member

yeah thats the way mine is.
    have a question for you john. (rather than starting a new thread)
    cabby 100mm shafts - if fitted to mk1 what has to be done to the outer joint/ beariny to make it fit? know you have mentioned i before but cant find it.
    my nearside has come loose twice now. going back to FD box and 90 flanges

7. rubjonny

if you have earlier bearing carriers there isnt enough room for the CV, so you need to grind the cv or bearign carrier to make room. so if possible get the complete bearing carrier assembly with the shafts. plus that way you wont have to mess with the 30mm hub nut which has to be done up to eleventy million uber torques

8. possle Forum Member

thanks
    fitting standard shafts now so il remember that for next time.
    there any difference in strength compared between the two shafts? or just joint sizes?

9. moffatt Forum Member

cheers lads the box i may get is of a mk2 16v but they havn"t told me the code but looks like it dunt matter if its of anothere valver

10. rubjonny

i believe the shafts are a different length, but i know the 100mm cv isnt a direct fit to the 90mm shaft, you need to modify the circlip groove so it will go in. the driveshaft faq has details on the lengths for the 90/100mm shafts now i think