020 Gearbox Build

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Golfmk1, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Golfmk1 New Member

Hi there

Hopefully somebody can help me. I race a MK1 golf 1.8 16v at hill climbs in the channel islands. Last season I lost a few teeth on my crown wheel on my 2Y box and am in the process of trying to source a box with a longer 2nd gear. The option I am thinking of going with is 4 speed (code 5B13018) and hopefully putting a plated LSD in.

I also have a few spare boxes. Codes are FD & ACD but not sure which would be best.

Are there any recommended gear kits around? and what diffs are people recommending?
    I quite fancy a plated diff like a Gripper but havent heard or have any experience of them.

Would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Thanks

Olly

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Have a look through the ratio lists in the FAQ. It's easy to get your head around and will show you what you can put into your box using stock VW parts.
    If you're wanting different ratios from what VW list, then it's custon gears and imput shafts(1st/2nd machined onto the shaft).

3. Fasteddymini Forum Member

4. Hotgolf

Hahaha, nice plug for the 4.6 ;)

5. Golfmk1 New Member

Ok great, thanks much appreciated. I will have a read

6. danster Forum Addict

If you fit a 4.6 fd with the std 3.45 first gear you will effectively have a 4 speeder as 1st will be so low it is virtually unuseable. Or fit huge wheels?
    I could start in second (2.12) with a 4.25 fd.

7. Hotgolf

Lol have to agree. When I put the 4.25 in my 2.1, 1st was more or less useless on the 15's with a 45 profile, funny on the motorway though. Revving it's nuts off at 60mph lol

8. danster Forum Addict

One can spend along time sorting out the right gear ratios. It can all be done on paper first then just source what you need.

I have yet to work out how I needed to strip down 5 gearboxes to build my own track car gearbox with selected gear ratios. And it is only a 4 speeder with a KAZZ diff!![:s]