020 Gearbox date is weird??

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Rustbuster, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi volks,
    Changed my gearbox oil today and noticed something strange!! Car is a ‘91 16v Mk2. Read the threads about top up level and understand the post 1987 boxes should have the fill/level plug 7mm higher up than earlier boxes so just fill until it starts to dribble out the filling hole. But noticed my filler plug is in the old position not 7mm higher. Checked the date stamp on the box and it’s 18061 so that’s 18/06/91 right? Then thought could that be a box from 18/06/81? Confusing thing is I’ve had the car from almost new so can’t imagine that someone changed the gearbox when it was like 18 months out the factory. Be interested to know peoples thought? 6A21728B-B11F-43BC-8519-A5CF42AF502E.jpeg 12911C45-9D71-4C30-83DD-039CA1E8CF87.jpeg

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

For whatever reason, might the end cover have been changed on it's own, as opposed to the entire gearbox (which looks to be the right code / age for your car if I've deciphered it correctly)?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  3. Zender Z20

Probably like you I've just had a look again at BrokeVW's site.

Over and above the different plug position his pic. below suggests there's also some minor casting differences between the old and new.

Can't tell from your own end covers image as the detail isn't in shot to confirm if yours matches one or the other (or is a third version?)

05-05-09 003s.jpg

4. Rustbuster

Cheers Zender. Think mine matches the one on the right in brokes photo but I’ll have a closer look tomorrow. A swapped end casing is a possibility? I don’t think they made a 2Y box in 1981 so it must be a ‘91 box. No wonder I’ve always struggled with oil level in this car, from what I’d read 2 litres of oil should have gone in this later model before overflowing but never did.
    Especially as I have another Mk2 8V GTI from 1984 and that’s got a 9A box. The filler/level plugs are in the same position on both cars and I’ve never compared them back to back before now. So correctly, the 1984 car should have the extra 0.5 litre added through the speedo drive but looks like I’ll have to do this method on the later ‘91 model too. Weird!

5. Zender Z20

Have the 'box out of the MK1 at the moment and it allowed me to have a good look around it earlier, the MK2's unfortrunately I can't get close enough to as it's currently tight into the corner of the garage, but having seen it quite a bit lately when it was recently out I'm 99.9% sure it's exactly like the one on the left in BrokeVW's image.

... and a bit of a surprise - the MK1's has the same supposedly later end cover with the repositioned drain hole, even the numbers / letters cast into both his and mine tally insofar as I can make out.

The MK1's 'box itself is definitely correct to the car / engine and the date stamp confirms it so also in all liklihood the original from mid Sept '83 (as is the cars VIN when I worked it out)

Found this which gives quite a bit of detail, but obviously can't vouch it's accurate (plus, in case it matters seems to have been written from a US perspective).

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/VW_020_transmission.shtml

So looks like I'm in the reverse position to you for the MK1, should have the older type but instead have the later one so got to presume it was changed at some point.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Rustbuster likes this.
  6. Rustbuster

Maybe it’s not so clear cut with the date change in ‘87 going from early type to later. Hopefully have another look at mine tomorrow and get the part number then check it on ETKA see if that sheds any light. Thanks for your replies though.

7. Zender Z20

I'm wondering in my cars case... it's possible the 5th gear cog was swapped out at some point to obtain a different ratio - seems to be a recognised mod. (might explain why a change happened to such a new 'box in your own car?) and in the process they also 'upgraded' the improved end case at the same time from the replacement cogs later donor 'box?

Reading BrokeVW's 'how to' goes way above my head so don't understood properly a lot of it, but he does go into specific changes relating to the 16v box / 5th cog change procedure so something people did / still do.

Might yours have had a similar change done and the 5th cog from a pre '87 box was used because the ratio got them whatever outcome they were after, but in the process the end plate from the older donor box got used either without realising there was a difference or mistakenly?

Like you say - if you weren't on the ball and picked up on the fact the holes weren't positioned as expected - in your case you could be running with quite a bit less trans. oil than recommended if following the correct procedure and in my case over filling instead.

8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Rustbuster, you have a very very clean looking gearbox. It does seem a strange one yet Zenders comment seems plausible. Have you had any gearbox work done during your ownership?

Rustbuster likes this.
  9. Rustbuster

No gearbox work done, I am the second owner though, but the car was nearly new when I bought it.

10. Rustbuster

I’ve had another look at mine, this is the ‘91 model. Part number is 020 301 211A and yours ends with C. In ETKA the part number for a ‘91 is 020 301 205A but it does say “see workshop manual”
    My version of ETKA doesn’t recognise part no 020 301 211A, it does recognise 020 301 211C but comes up with China, USA, South Africa. Click on those countries and it comes up with following models;
    China - JE 1991-2009 Jetta
    USA - GOU 1985-1986 Golf
    South Africa - CA 1996-2009 Caddy
    But my ETKA is an old version..

I think the moral of the story is, when topping up gearbox oil to correct level, don’t go off the year of manufacture, (i.e. pre or post Sept ‘87) go off the part number on the end case. So, 020 301 211C just top up until it starts to come out on level ground, for mine, 020 301 211A add the extra half litre through the speedo drive or by tilting the car with a ramp as I’ve just done.
    What do ya think Zender?

11. Zender Z20

Yup, think that's very good advice... make sure you know for a fact which version you have as it'll influence how and by what amount you refill it.

It's always possible there are even more numbers / versions out there, but regardless of that by referring to the BrokeVW image above, highlighting the bump should keep people right.

I know my own car's had engine / head work done over it's almost 40 years and 165K miles, it's very probable then that there has also been gear box work too.

Could unfortunately speculate all day as to why your car doesn't have the expected end cover and still not guess right, but it's definitely interesting and would love to know!

12. Rustbuster

Me too Zender! If I ever find out I’ll let you know..

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well it certainly cant be an 81 box since its a 2y, they didnt exist back then :lol:

so either the end case was changed, or some kind of error back when box was put together

Hotgolf and Rustbuster like this.
  14. Zender Z20

Hard to believe this post was that long ago, but thought @Rustbuster might be interested!

Never stopped niggling me why my end casing wasn't original... half suspected it may have been a previous owner changing out the 5th gear for a different ratio, but as it turns out, seems not.

Had the various 'box seals etc. done quite a while back and the refurb. kit came with a selection of gaskets inc. for the end casing which wasn't used, so as it was costing me nothing to have a nosey, opened things up yesterday.

Counted the 5th driven / driving gear teeth and they are as BrokeVW shows, the correct 42 / 47 = 0.894 for a (1983) 9A box.

Suggests they are either the originals or perhaps if they were damaged (for example through lack of oil) it was just a change of like for like.

Remainder of the 'box casing / bell housing seems to be the original and stamped /dated as such.

The input shaft is 22mm and the flanges 90mm, again as appears to be the original spec., though a now bigger flywheel has been swapped in to take a 210mm clutch plate over the standard 200mm.

The only identification mark I can find cast into the 'wrong' end casing is that number '8' pictured in close up.

I'm wondering is it short for '1988', in the same way that the format of the stamped box code only uses the year and not the decade because it's limited production run span didn't need them to differentiate it?

If anyone's temped to take their casing off, read up Broke's instructions first. It's all very straight forward and no special tools needed, but you do need to be wary of not removing that bar with the spring on top or else face having to open the entire box up to reset things.

In two of the images you can just about see the top of the spring poking into the end casing oil hole, helps when refitting / lining things up.

So I'm no further on really, other than confirming what didn't need to be said... that my end casing is from a later 'box, just lost to history now and no obvious reason why it should be.

020chart.jpg

IMG20230718193328[1].jpg

IMG20230805172752.jpg

IMG20230805172825.jpg

IMG20230805172832.jpg

IMG20230805172841.jpg

IMG20230805172854.jpg

IMG20230805172916.jpg

IMG20230805173056.jpg

IMG20230805173135A.jpg

IMG20230805173257.jpg

IMG20230805173310.jpg