020 gearbox diff bolt kit!!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by richardt, Jan 11, 2006.

1. richardt New Member

Hi,

Thinking of retaining the std box on my mk2 92 8v (only 70k) but coupled with an abf 2.0 16v.

Have discovered that the box will cope as well as any 16v box since it's the same (apart from 5th gear ratio). However, heard they can let go!

Thinking about a rebuilt one with the diff bolt kit fitted. (as std the 020 box has rivits which like to fail and fly out through the gearbox casing apparently)

Anyone done this before or have any knowledge of this mod, how its done and the costs involved?

Cheers,

Rick

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Diff rivets can go, but then so can a lot of other things on an oh-too-oh, do a search for hotgolf on here, he's the man for vfm gearbox rebuilds speak to him regarding prices..

Basically, the box needs stripping diff removed, the rivets machining off then the bolt kit fitting, I'm pretty sure the bolts are pressed into the diff and then the crown wheel is secured with nuts, then box rebuilding with new bearings etc.. When I had my Quaife ATB diff fitted I seem to remember the bolt kit being 30-40 at the most from VAG.

One thing tho, just because you've had a rebuild ( depending on use) it won't be totally bullet proof esp if running more than standard power.

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

How much power & torque will the ABF put out ?

4. ianb Forum Member

Andy

More or less 150bhp standard as in the MK3

Modded they are similar to the 9A

Ian

5. Broke Forum Member

The bolt kit removes a very common fault, but like mentioned above, it won't make the rest of the box bulletproof.

For no reason, here is a pic of a bolted 020 diff...

[​IMG]

The ring gear is bolted down, and the cross shaft for the spider gears is clipped into place when a bolt kit is installed.

Broke
    Edited by: Broke

6. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

If you want a box rebuild with new bolts, its gonna cost ya about 350 :)