020 gearbox endcap

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by yardi29, Apr 16, 2007.

1. yardi29 Forum Member

im having a bloody nightmare with my mk3 gti the release bearings noisy theres 2 issues i need to get advise with ..ok firstly when i prized the end cap off gear oil leaked out quite a bit is that normal? and 2ndly the little hole the release bearing sits in seems to off snapped in half somehow ?ive never taken the end cap off before but it looks like it used to be a round hole but some of the casing is snapped is there anything i can do about this?

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pics would be good. End plates tend to be a pain once prised off, and are an easy part to replace via the dealer.

Pics of the release bearing also would be good.

3. yardi29 Forum Member

sorry no pics i prized off the end cap fine but oil leaks out i think that may be normal just checking on that but basically the release bearing sits in a little bore with the actuation finger in front off it but my bore that the bearing sits in is snapped its like in half what will i need to replace?would the bore be part of the 5th gear end casing?

4. MUSH Forum Member

yes oil will leak out once the cap is removed. Just top up what is lost. The shaft in which the release bearing sits is "castleated" (most probs not spelt correct) so it does look like theres a big chunk missing. Dont worry bout it unless you find a chunk of metal floating around. You can compare the pics on here

www.brokevw.com

to yours to see the difference/similarity.

5. yardi29 Forum Member

ok kool i,ll have a good look tommorow but to be honest it does look like some of the bore in which the bearing sits is snapped ie its not round its like crescent shaped but i couldnt see any loose bits of metal there atall its a weird 1... so is that right then once i move the finger out the way i just need to put a magnet up to the bearing and it will pop out? cheers guys.

6. MUSH Forum Member

yep a simple magnet pen will draw the bearing out.

7. yardi29 Forum Member

hi all i attempted to change my clutch release bearing today on my mk3 8v 020 box code all was going well i took the end cap off undone all 6 of the 13 mm bolds on the end housing ,uncliped the clutch cable from the clutch arm and pulled the bearing out which was in 3 bits (fooked) only problem i have now is when i put the bearing back in ,connect the clutch cable back and tighten the endhousing back up when i go into the car to press the clutch pedal down its solid i cant think what the hell i could of done wrong here?any ideas would be great.