020 gearbox failiure 8v mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Alex12345, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Alex12345 Forum Member

Ok so on a recent outing to oulton park my gearbox failed, I drove the car home removed and proceeded to strip the gearbox finding 4th gear, (the one on the input shaft) stripped of most of its teeth. I'd had this box rebuilt prob 1000/1500 miles ago as a favour. It had a few bearings and the diff assy bolted. After this I always suspected that 4th gear was a bit noisey. I'm now determined to learn how to build my own transmissions to avoid future disappointment. I wondered if anyone could suggest A why or what would cause this type of failiure and also B any tips/hints on an 020 transmission build would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Wes.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for all of your 020 needs:
    http://www.brokevw.com/

possibly the various shims and preloads wernt checked? hard to say without speakign to the guy who did the work for you. Its not uncommon to strip gears in highish power and/or track cars as they get put under more punishment than usual. tbh the boxes cope well considerign they were originally designed for the old mastro/montegos :lol:

Alex12345 likes this.
  3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Wes post pictures :thumbup:

4. Alex12345 Forum Member

I'm a bit of a tool with the computer can't remember how.Can I do it with an I phone ??

5. Sirguydo

Yes but you need good eysight and a photobucket account :thumbup:

You copy the direct link from the right hand side of the photobucket picture page select the picture icon above paste press return and hey presto lol
    Don't worry it took me a while lol I do all my posting from my iPad and sometimes it's a pain but we all have different skills ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  6. Alex12345 Forum Member

I have photo bucket from before, give us a quick explanation (in very basic terms please) cheers Wes.

7. Alex12345 Forum Member

8. Alex12345 Forum Member

massive pics how do I deal with that ??.

9. Sirguydo

Great for detail lol
    Don't know lol

10. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Wasn't shim'd correctly, needed to be centred on that gear if you get my meaning load was one end

11. Alex12345 Forum Member

thanks I did suspect something like that as the teeth seem to be broken all on the same side of the gear, im not yet familiar with how to rectify this but I'm learning, best do some more reading and get a few more gearboxes out of the shed, could be a long process ha ha.

12. Alex12345 Forum Member

[​IMG]Magnet full of teeth incase anyone was interested or hadn't seen before

13. Alex12345 Forum Member

[​IMG] Also damage to what I would call the pinion ??. Caused by debris from the 4th gear failiure