020 Gearbox Gaskets and Seals

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mr purple, Jan 21, 2004.

1. mr purple Forum Member

Does anyone know of anywhere where these can be obtained other than VW as I refuse to pay 65 for a kit that IMO is worth about 25 in the real world, GSF don't do them sadly.

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Gaskets you can cut yourself from a sheet of fibre gasket material (motor factors or classic car places), seals can be got by taking the old seal to a bearing/seal supplier - loads in the yellow pages. They'll be able to give you one of the same dimensions.

3. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

When i rebuild mine i did not replace the green gaskets
    and i reused them , they have not leaked so far. Prob not the best practice but i did not think the box would last that much longer anyway. You could try Autotechnics in southampton as they rebuild boxes in house and must be able to get the parts

4. mr purple Forum Member

Or so I was led to believe, just looked on the online store and they do the seals but not the gaskets at a reasonable price (bout 20 for a set), and for the gaskets i'm using the old ones with some gasket sealer. Never believe what a parts monkey tells you!! [:x]
    Edited by: mr purple

5. Fozzie_Bear Forum Member

Make sure if you using new gasket paper that your cutting yourself or, using any kind of sealer that you don't end up making the join any thicker/thinner as this will affect the diff bearings running clearance.