020 gearbox issue

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by McBeal, Oct 25, 2013.

1. McBeal Forum Member

Looking for some advice or ideas as to what could be the problem with my gearbox or if it could be something else.

The box is an 020 fitted to a mk1 track day car which was rebuilt 2 track days ago and has had some road use.attended a track day last weekend and after one warm up lap dropping down to 2nd the box made a massive bang and the car would jump in any gear and barely move.after being towed in the car now in any gear will not move but you can select any gear no clutch issue wheels all turn freely when jacked up, when stationery the car can be in any gear lift the clutch and the speedo will rise but the car will be stationery no noises or anything or crunching gears.

Anyone got any ideas to what the problem could be.i remember Hotgolf mentioned that the final drive had a crack on one of the teeth on the last rebuild and that it was dressed and shouldn't give any real issues if that could be a possibility?

Any input would be much appreciated

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Could be a number of things but I'd check your inner CV joints. The inner CV joint on the shorter shaft may be broken. Done it lots of times myself.

Gurds

3. McBeal Forum Member

Would there be a noise from that when it was jacked up and the wheel spun?and would just the one side prevent the car from driving?thanks for the reply

4. McBeal Forum Member

Box had been quite noisy on over run aswell before the failure but went away when the clutch was applied just hoping it's not another rebuild so soon

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

It will prevent drive if you have a normal diff. Check it anyway. Easy way to tell is jack up the front, get a mate to start the car and stick it in gear. The watch the gearbox output cups compared to the driveshafts.

Gurds

6. McBeal Forum Member

Car is running a peloquin diff but will give that a try later today

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Not on here now but this was broguht to my attention. I'll always sort issues so PM sent matey. You may finally be looking at a C/P if it is that!

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Get it out and to bits..
    Jon

9. mexicorich Forum Member

Disappointed that Hotgolf isn't around anymore

G28OPN likes this.
  10. G28OPN Forum Member

+1 along with some of the other valuable members that have gone awol :(