020 Gearbox on ABF MK2

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by DanP21, May 31, 2021.

1. DanP21 New Member

Hi All,

I’ve recently bought myself a MK2 golf driver which I am converting to a 2.0l ABF manual with an 020 gearbox.

Struggling to work out how I mount the gearbox to the subframe? The gearbox mount currently on the subframe seems to be part 191 199 402 and the mount bracket part number I have is 191 199 351. Are there any other parts required? Can anyone share pictures/diagrams of how they mount up?

Also, when I put the gearbox on the engine there seems to be gap, almost like I need an adaptor plate or something (I’ve not come across this before)

Appreciate any help!
    Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as its a driver you just use all the old brackets from the original engine, just be sure to put in a decent GTI 020 box as the driver one will be rubbish. need gti shafts to go with it usually as most driver will have 90mm flanges. but yeah thats the right gearbox bracket anyway, whats the issue?

you should have a tin metal plate between the engien and gearbox yep

3. DanP21 New Member

Thanks for the response! I should have mentioned that it was a shell I bought so didn’t come with an engine, gearbox, brackets etc. The issue is just me working out how it mounts up, like where the bracket attaches to the gearbox (maybe I was just staring at parts for too long yesterday!)

I’ve got 100mm drive shafts, still need to get a new brake set up though so I can run 256mm brakes.

I also need all the bolts for the mounts, brackets and gearbox but believe I’ve found these on other threads so can order these!

4. rubjonny

ah I see, that makes life hard for sure. what about gear linkages etc? ideally need access to a full breaker then you have everythign you need and can see how it all was put together

5. DanP21 New Member

So I went out to my garage last night and realised that the gearbox I originally bought was an 02A which is why I can’t piece it together! How stupid of me I was originally going to run hydraulic clutch but after reading up I don’t think I’ll bother so now I need to source an 020 gearbox - sounds like ACD, AUG, 2Y are the ones to go for and avoid the 4T?

By any chance do you know where I can find one? They seem hard to come by!

6. rubjonny

if you have the 02a might be worth running with it. you dont have to go hydro clutch you can use a cable conversion kit, can still get hold of them if you shop around saw one the other day for £80

but yeah for 020 you want GTI code again a case of hunting around till you find a decent one, try the usual ebay, breakers etc

7. DanP21 New Member

I’ll have a look around for a kit then and see what I can find!

What else will I need if I stick with the 02A, obviously the gearbox bracket, is there anything else?

8. rubjonny

you'll need front and rear g60 type engine brackets, plus either 02a or 02j gear selector setup. preferably 02j, does require more metal work to fit but if you never plan to go back to standard its no problem. if you can find a polo 02j shifter thats a much closer fit, requires less cutting and you can still go back to standard after but they usually cost that bit more