020 Gearbox Predicted life in Seconds Please!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by sdj_mk3, Aug 23, 2006.

1. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Have looked all round the web but can't seem to find a torque rating for the mk3 8v Gti 020 box.

Mine has number of mods, Cam, port polish, induction, cat back and de-cat pipe, and substantial compression increase. Not had it on a rolling road but would like to think its around 140bhp with torque to match (It'll pull away from a stock mk2 8v) However...I also run 75bhp of progressive nitrous. (i.e. read something like 210+bhp with more than torque to match, its frightening at 3000rpm when you hit the gas)

The box is stock and much to my suprise not dead yet having seen alot of nitrous action. Its done 100 miles, and sounds like youd expect. Not as smooth or quiet as a new one but nothing nasty. Am I being lucky? My plan is to rebuild the box and put an uprated clutch and a Quaife diff but all else stock. What's peoples thoughts?

Ticking time bomb or worrying about nothing?

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Run it as it is, see how long it lasts, rather than turn an abused 'box into one with a 1k Quaife investment inside it (diff + bolts + install labour).

Everything hinges on the off-line abuse it takes - and the nitrous surge. Anything is breakable if abused enough.

3. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

I don't live far from Quaife and going direct I can get a ATB diff for 500. I would also do all the fitting work myself, along with the box rebuild, so I'd just need to go to the nearest stealers and get all the new seals bearings etc. I also have a mate who builds race boxes for a living, everything from road to rally so I can get him to give it the once over on the sly.

Does the G60 run this box? as I seen quite a few 250hp ish G60's runnning on standard boxes. Obviously higher outputs will wear a box quicker, and the problem is worse on an old already worn box. But but obviously for arguments sake putting a standard 2.0L 8v through an 020 box isn't likely to snap it within 50,000miles, just wear it out till something gives, where as an engine putting out 1000bhp (I know thats not realistic, just for arguments sake) would snap everything on its first run. Where's the fuzzy line?

Anyone running high output turbo or supercharged motors through the 8v 020 box? Or did it have to be uprated, or is a simple rebuild enough?

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

G60s are cable change 02A.

Depending on abuse, you can get through a box in no time.

The fuzzy line without nitrous, is 200 bhp. The difference nitrous makes in the input loads is difficult to quantify tho'.

5. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Thanks Chris,
    that's the kind of thing I was after. I'm floating around that number now so I know to make sure the nitrous controller is delivering a nice soft hit. I've found at around about medium settings you'd never know it was on gas, really smooth, no shocks, just like a really quick NA motor. I don't tend to hammer the box other than with a nitrous dash. its done quite a bit of motorway driving and when I'm driving hard I try to be as kind on hte box as I can. Blip on the downchange and not to agressive with the clutch release on the up. And its had to box oil swaps (Which makes the world of difference anyone out there with a car with more than 60k on the clock, its really easy quick job and the oil is leass than a tenner from VAG main stealers)