020 hydraulic clutch conversion

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by infinity, Nov 16, 2008.

1. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Anyone know any info on how this can be done, any pic's or off the shelf bits that might be useful????

looking to convert my mk1 to a hydraulic set-up.

The only lead I have so far is there is a similar set-up on Polo's and caddy's, but the parts aren't a direct fit??

Any help/ info welcomed!!

cheers

G:thumbup:

2. joeletaxi New Member

Hello matey, ive done the 02A conversion on my Mk1, used the clutch and gearbox from a Corrado 2.0 16v (and the engine :lol: ) but decided to keep the cable clutch.

The gearbox side and rear mount need modifying, or you can buy some (expensive!) ones on the 'Bay or off the Caddy forum. Im lucky to have a welder in my shed so it was easy to do, if you havent got mounts let me know, im always happy to help.

The easiest way to modify the clutch is to use the Seat clutch actuator- call up VW and ask for part number: 02B 141708A. Its on the ETKA parts diagram no. 141-30 and is for a 1987 Seat Ibiza. 40 well spent!
    This is genius as it just bolts in place of the hydraulic slave cylinder used on other cars with the cable-change gearbox, then all you need is a Mk3 clutch cable. The Mk1/Mk2 cables arent strong enough to work the later clutch- i broke two before going for the Mk3 one!

The cable-change selctor/gear lever needs a hole through the bulkhead, the cables are too long for the shortarse Mk1 so to keep the gearlever in the same place i cut a hole through the bulkhead off-centre so the cable is curved to take up the extra length. I bolted the complete selector unit onto the tunnel which usefully gives a completely empty centre tunnel..for a big old exhaust :p

Feel free to email me any questions- there are plenty of posts on this and other forums about the conversion but its always handy to know someone else who is doing it!

Cheers, Joe

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

G - From your post I guess you do don't want to swap to 02A , you're looking at converting the 020 to hydraulic?

4. joeletaxi New Member

Oops, ive just read your post again...you want to do a hydraulic clutch [:$]

The best way is to get the whole pedal box assembly from a Mk3 Golf/Passat or Corrado- this way you get the hydraulic master cylinder and reservoir.
    If you only want to add the hydraulic clutch you will have to fabricate a bracket for the pedal box to locate the clutch master cylinder. I looked at this option but felt it was better to use a cable clutch because it allowed me to fit a Mk2 16v master cylinder on the drivers side to get rid of the classic mk1 bulkhead flex

Ive modified my Mk1 the cheapest way and slowly picked up all the bits of eBay and the forums but in hindsight i wish id bought a complete Mk3 Golf or Passat donor and just swapped everything over!

Unless you really want a hydraulic clutch (easier and smoother) id suggest keeping it all mechanical and the you only have to modify the two gearbox mounts, clutch pedal and fit the gear selector!
    :thumbup:

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

G,

How about a remote hydraulic actuator to pull on the standard clutch release lever?

Gurds

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

thats the way. think I have seen such actuators from wilwood

7. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

And fabricate some sort of bracket up, in theory not too much hassle.. Why though, cable seems to work fine?

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There's a Mk1 that was at Ed38 in 2007 which had this done. Featured in one of the VW mags afterwards, but I forget who's it was.

Anyone recall it?

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Go do some squats G!

Gurds

10. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think it was orange, but haven't got any pics to hand

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

thats the fella

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Rally Design

Rally design sell them. I've had one on the back of the bench for a while.

14. Tomo IOW Forum Member

ive broke one already, on my second mk2 1.3 cable, didnt know you could use a mk3 cable, have you got the part number for this ??

15. mickey marrows Forum Member

Err just fit a 020 gearbox with hydraulic clutch mech... they're fitted to 1.6 mk4 Golfs from 1998....

16. rupe Forum Member

I remember seeing a build ages ago where the guy had done it, I've tried to find the link but failed.

Only pic I can find at the mo

[​IMG]

17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

that would be a 02k or 02J box dude i believe,

18. geezer Forum Member

Not wishing to be a picky bugger but wouldent that set up shown put alot of side strain on the cylinder seals , if it was me id have to use some kind of bearing on the clutch arm .

Edit sorry i'm being dull just noticed the spring at the bottom .

Ill get me coat .......

19. infinity

infinity Forum Member

My current ratio's won't fit into that box, and those boxes are well known for failing !!! but if the linkage arm can be fitted then we are are on to something...... I do know the 02K as mentioned above have different casting to hold the clutch slave

20. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Thanks for the pic!!! :thumbup:

i think the wilwood set-up would end up something like this.