020 leak

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mk2 nas, Mar 7, 2016.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok,looks like a step backwards, my 020 was squeeling a bit the other week.thought a low oil level
    Was the issue.now ive discovered gearbox oil on the floor leaking from bell housing.
    I've been reading up on something about rivets in the diff coming out and creating a hole,(1st scenario)
    Or have I put too much oil in,(2nd)
    Or the input seal is bad,(3rd)
    What's the most likely cause of this.the car hasn't been run yet(just started)but I've got a new clutch
    In there and don't want it oil contaminated.
    Your thoughts plz.:cry:

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Usually id have said diff rivet, but you say it hasn't been driven yet?
    Sounds clutch related but shouldn't leak oil. I'd be having a good look in view to removing the box for inspection. Could the oil be from filling/spilling and the noise be clutch related?

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

I've not drove it just been building it up for months.the first couple of times I've ran it upto temp it has made a squeel
    "like unlubricated metal to metal noise"strange then topped g/box oil noise stopped but now leaking.all I can think is
    The shaft seal isn't retaining the oil and its seeping past into bell housing
    I'm gonna have to pull the gearbox out for my own peace of mind and see what's happening.
    The oil isn't spillage from filling(wrong area)I filled it through speedo hole.the oil is coming out at the mating face to the
    Block.