020 leaking into output flange

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by SkyRocketeer, May 24, 2010.

1. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

I pulled the engine & box out of rocco#2 yesterday and whilst on my back under the car (getting sunburn shins) undoing the OS inner cv joint I get a facefull of gearbox oil. The NS one was greasy, as expected. Now I'm pretty sure gearbox oil shouldn't be lubricating the cv joint so is this a suggestion that a seal has popped somewhere? I'd guess about 1/2 a pint came out, though it's difficult to judge.

This is supposed to be a budget cleanup and refit, I can't be doing with another dying gearbox (still got the blue-dude's 085 kicking around looking sorry for itself) - Would simply changing the little rubber cap in the middle of the output flange fix this? Or am I looking at a heap of trouble here?

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

A new seal in the flange should suffice, but I don`t how easy it would be with the `box in situ.

3. andyball1 New Member

howd you get on? i had the same issue and found my flange cap looking like this?
    [​IMG]

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Easy job. It's just a matter o removing the drive shaft, prising out the old cap with a screwdriver and pushing a new one back in. You may have some oil coming through though if you don't drain the box first.
    They sell the cap cheap enough at the stealer too, and are a better fit then some you get off ebay.

5. SkyRocketeer

The cap looks intact, and quite tidy. I've not gotten as far as fixing it yet, as the engine is still out, awaiting some bulkhead repair (and major degreasing) before being re-inserted.

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

1. I bet its the side of the shorter drive shaft.
    2. You are running more negative camber than usual.
    3. Your car is also lower than standard.

If this is the case, a new seal will also fail. Either take some camber out or go find a late cabby drive shaft which is shorter and wont hit the seal when lowered with extra camber.

Gurds

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Ahh, just read its the OS shaft seal. Probably wasn't seated properly. I have come across 2 types of seal available one of which is flat and the other that has a raised section in the middle. The flat ones don't fit properly and can pop back out.

Gurds

8. SkyRocketeer

Yep, it is the flat style seal.

The car is lowered, but only -40mm, and the geometry is pretty good, flat wishbones, -1deg camber - it's set up for drive, not looks. I'll have a good look at the NS flange and cap for any signs of damage, before it goes back together, but I didn't notice any issues with driveshaft length and clearance when it came out.

9. andyball1 New Member

wouldnt be surprised if my one wasnt in properly cos it did pretty much fell off when i poked it with a screw driver. the gearbox in my car was found in a scrap pile and works mint toher than that [:D]