020 on ABF clutch slip

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Mk2Singh, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi All
    Recently had the clutch slipping on my ABF and 020 g/box setup and realised with the help of Rubjonny that the clutch cable wasnt adjusted correctly with the right amount of freeplay. Did this and it solved the issue in the lower gears.
    But recently I did a 130 odd mile trip in the Mk2 and noticed that the clutch still slips but in the high gear. I adjusted the clutch cable abit more to loosen it and it helped abit but was still slipping. Mainly was in 5th gear and when I plant the accelerator in high gear it slips

I dont think the clutch could be contaminated but not 100% sure. I did have an oil leak from around the sump but dont think any oil got onto the clutch. Also changed the main end seal last year when I was trying to solve the oil leak issue but it wasnt that and the clutch looked fine then. It was wiped down before refitting. Also I have a Hotgolf lightened flywheel and Sachs clutch.
    The gearbox had fresh OEM fluid when I fitted the box (020) to the ABF also

How else can I diagnose it? Any other things I should check. Also can I do adjustments and keep checking while its stationary?

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Check you have some free play at the clutch lever arm on the gearbox.

Higher gears and peak torque will be the point where it slips first (as you've found out).

Have you got a manual adjustment cable?.

3. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Yes so I have the "specified" free play at the lever arm but then I added more while I was out for a drive. It did help abit but was slipping mainly in the higher gear
    It is a manual adjustment cable

4. watercooled Forum Member

Have owned a few Mk2's so thinking you have a stretched cable that most likely about to part company @ the gearbox end which is the usual spot from what I have seen.
    Do you have a self-adjust type or manual adjust ?,self adjust are just ok but are not my choice ,used one with g/box change and new flywheel and clutch assembly on mk3 auto to (020 ) manual seemed ok but sold the car soon after so not really sure about them.
    The flywheel seal generally won't dump oil on the clutch or atleast I haven't seen it,it just pours or weeps out the bellhousing .

5. Mk2Singh Forum Member

So the clutch cable was actually brand new when the engine and box went into the car. Have not done many miles in the car since fitting the engine and box. However I did drive around for abit with the cable tightened up without any freeplay a while back but it must have been no more than 80ish miles until I adjusted it and put some freeplay into it. Could this have stretched it? Would be an easier fix if it has compared to taken the box off again

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

A stretched cable would cause a dragging clutch not a slipping clutch surely?.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What 020 do you have and what brand of clutch and pressure plate is fitted?

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If you deffo have free play in the cable, box has to come out...
    Jon

Toyotec likes this.
  9. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Yea I was thinking the same

Its an 2Y 020. Has the numbers 0604 after 2Y and 3 below them
    clutch and pressure plate is Sachs and i also have a Hotgolf flywheel

Yea its looking more likely I have to now. So I guess its best to just change out the clutch again even if it looks okay?

Thanks guys, Most appreciated

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You need to remove the box and look for oil leaks coming from the clutch rod seal.
    02Y gearbox, Sachs clutch kit and Martin's flywheel, I have run on one of my cars also. When I had slip, it was the the small 5p clutch rod seal that died, coating the friction plate with oil.
    Just a smear is enough.

11. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi Ed
    Before I had installed the engine and box I actually had replaced that small seal, the larger outer seal and the brass bush along with a brand new push rod and bearing

Could the seals have failed do you think?

I guess I just have to bite the bullet and remove the box like you guys have suggested
    Was hoping it was just the clutch cable adjustment but already have alot of freeplay than it should have now

Thank you :)