020 transmission removal

Discussion in 'Engines' started by sparky2003752, Jul 20, 2005.

1. sparky2003752 Forum Member

Hi guys im really hoping someone can help i had help from one of the guys on the forum but im still stuck.I am removing transmission in my mk3 golf gti to do a clutch job.I have been told that you twist the bellhousing etc towards you to remove it but when i do this the drive shaft flange does notclear the thin metal plate that is behind all of the clutch components , this is the only thing stopping me from removing the transmission[8(].Does anyone know what i could do?

cheers mark

2. JamesB Forum Member

It'll be the driveshaft flange getting caught behind the flywheel.

Yes you're right in that you have to turn the gearbox towards you. Its a pig of a job but if you move it around for long enough you'll find it'll suddenly come clear.

IIRC I turned mine round 90 degrees then tilted it upwards and away from the block.

Not sure if its the same on the Mk3 but in my Mk2 you have to drop the engine slightly. Makes it a bit easier.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

After 2 hours of f**king about with my valver trying to get the box out, I removed the engine and it just about fell off )so to speak!). Personally if have to take the box off I`ll pull the engine out of the front again, with it`s only an hou tops more work to get it off, plus there`s no chance of shafting the clutch or g/box input shaft as you try and restle it back in..