02a ’box - crunching 2nd

Discussion in 'Engines' started by andyj, Sep 23, 2005.

1. andyj Forum Member

Hi guys,

Over the last couple of days I've noticed that the 02a 'box in my ABF Cordoba, has been crunching when changing into 2nd gear from either 1st or 3rd [:s]

Looks to me like the synchromesh has gone :(

How easy if it to recon the box ?!?

Cheers,

Andy

2. The Dude Forum Member

You might want to try changing the gearbox oil 1st and see if that cures it, my 2Y box used to crunch into 2nd from 1st when cold at nearly any rev but now it'll only do it if its stone cold and wont do it at all if i keep it below 3000 for the 1st few gear changes.

3. miggs2002 Forum Member

also you will probably find it cheaper getting a second hand box than reconing that one!

4. nando Forum Member

hi andy i use to have a cordoba it was the black 1in the golf+ mag last year, had same thing with 2nd gear, check padal box first as thewelds break around clutch cable a lot[:s]also check gear cable as this also breaks at the gearbox end. if not try new oil which is 75/90. also that engine moves alot try fitting a mk3 golf front vibra-techic mount.

5. andyj Forum Member

Hi guys,

Going to take a look at the pedal box, clutch cable, and linkages to.....

Will change the oil to, and see if that helps.

Have been driving it gently over the last few days, and it seems ok, it's only when I drive it had in 1st and change to 2nd above 2-3000rpm it does it.

Am in the process of trying to find a replacement 'box.

Does anyone know where I can get the bits to recon my box once it;s out ?!? Think I need a new synchro mecsh for 2nd gear....

Andy