02A driveshaft seal replacement guide

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Carl loader, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

I've just replaced the driveshaft seals on the 02A box thats going into my mk2, so i thought i'd take a few pics to post up here as i know quite a few people ask about how to change them

Now from what i know there seams to be two different types of seal that are used on the 02A box, and in this guide ill cover just one type but the other is very similar. The box i have is an AFE which uses black seals, other boxes i've seen use green seals

The black seal part number is 02A 301 189

First thing to do is remove the driveshaft flange. Just take a couple of reasonably long M8 bolts (the ones from the casing of the box are ideal), screw them into two opposing holes on the flange and wind them in, whilst using a piece of packing underneath the bolt as shown below

[​IMG]

Evenly tighten each bolt which will press the flange out

[​IMG]

So here's the old seal, use a lever of some type to pull the bearing out. I used a tyre lever very gently to pull it out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once out, clean up the mounting hole being careful not to drop any dirt, grit etc into the differential casing

Now, place the new seal onto the top of the mounting hole....

[​IMG]

and using the old seal, gently tap the new one into place, making sure you tap evenly around the whole diameter

[​IMG]

Make sure you don't tap the seal in to far, there is no shoulder for the seal to sit against

[​IMG]

Now smear some gearbox oil aroung the internal diameter of the seal, and around the part of the flange which comes into contact with the seal and place the flange back into the hole (locates on splines so can't get it wrong)

[​IMG]

Using a punch of some description and knock the flange back into position. It doesn't take alot of force and you'll know once it's gone in far enough

[​IMG]

And here you go, flange is back in place with a new seal

[​IMG]

Now as i've mentioned, some 02A's have a different seal, and these type box's don't have their flanges pressed in. Instead, there is a long 6mm cap head bolt in the centre of the flange, so just remove the bolt from the centre of the flange and it will just pop out

Here's a couple of pics of how the flange looks on these type boxes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps anyone out there lookin to replace these seals. Would still be an easy job with the box in the car after the driveshafts have been unbolted

Nige likes this.
  2. viva3131 New Member

great help! Thanks.