02A gearbox to 02J shifter conversion help

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by bri, Feb 12, 2020.

1. BRI

bri Forum Member

Hi,
    I'm in the process of fitting a 02A CTN gearbox in my corrado g60. I'm also changing out the gear linkages and shifter tower to newer 02J parts .
    I've got a complete 02J setup from an 05 Audi A3 1.9tdi which on trial fitting looks like it will all work fine , however the gearbox cable bracket from the Audi will not fit on the 02A gearbox as it is bigger and the mounting holes do not match up . The original 02A cable bracket will not work either as the approach angle to the shift tower is off and one of the cables is mounted too far away from tower .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know what bracket I need that works with this setup ? Mk4 one?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry, I forgot to look. Apologies.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I used a Skoda octavia part on my mk2 VR6 back in the day.
    So mk4 Golf should work I guess.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

that tower isnt 02j, looks more like an 02m and the bracket isnt right either. you need 5 speed parts off a mk4 golf or same chassis such as bora, beetle, leon etc.

should look like this :)
    02j-shifter.jpg

5. bonus85 Forum Member

Yeah mk4 - but there are some variances. I'll check out the part number of the one I've used on the weekend. But yeah it might not work with an 02m tower.

Not necessarily that easy to get hold of unless you buy the whole cable/shift box unit as scrappers don't want to split.

6. BRI

bri Forum Member

No problom T , want to be sure to get the right parts for this so throwing it out to the forum .

7. BRI

bri Forum Member

The shift tower , cables and gearbox bracket came out of an 05 A3 tdi 5 speed ,I know cos I took them out myself . I'm assuming this car is mk5 golf based so there may be some differences ?
    I also removed the gearbox shift tower from what I was told was the same cars 5 speed gearbox but can't be 100% sure on this as the box was removed and away from the car.
    I don't think it's an o2M shift tower though, the tower fits perfectly into the o2A box and I can get all gears nicely although I will admit the weight bracket looks different to other o2J shifters I've seen ?faces forward instead of rearwards ?
    I mocked up the cable and shifter mechanism to the new tower installed on the o2A box and I can get all the gears ,it's just the bracket that is wrong as far as I can see.

8. rubjonny

ah that explains it yep, you can see the 02j tower and cable bracket is totally different as the shifter cables cross over each other so you cant mix n match 02j parts with your tower.

if you can get all the gears fine then no problem keeping the parts, you'll just have to modify your cable bracket so it fits properly. maybe make up some short adaptor brackets to tie into existing fixing points if easier.

bri likes this.
  9. BRI

bri Forum Member

But will a bracket like what is in your picture above not work for me ? It looks like it will ? The cables cross over in that picture also ,is that a mk4 cable bracket ?
    NB. My cables cross over too ,it's just that they do this further back out of the picture,

10. rubjonny

if you look at the 02j cables they cross over each other just before they connect to the tower after the bracket, and one cable connection point on the bracket is staggered quite far back from the other. on yours the cables dont cross and and they fit to the tower about the same position, so you'll probably find the side to side lever cable wont reach the tower when hooked up to an 02J bracket

you might be able to use mk4 gearstick assembly, cables and bracket with your tower though perhaps...

tbh it doesnt look like it would be too hard to bend/kink the 2 cable bracket fixing points to get them to line up with the 02a holes on the box?

11. BRI

bri Forum Member

It would be possible to modify that bracket alright, I just thought if I got a mk4 cable bracket it would fit directly on with no issues , maybe that's not the case .Thanks for the help though !

12. rubjonny

heres a comparison of brackets, 02J is in the middle can see how offset the cables are. 02M is on the left, can see why I got confused :lol:
    02j-mbrackets.jpg

13. BRI

bri Forum Member

Thanks, you would,nt know the pn of the O2J bracket by a y chance?

Here is another view of the box and cables end, you can see the cables cross over much further back closer to the gear shifter .

[​IMG]

14. rubjonny

1J0711789B or 1J0711781c, if nothing else you could chop one up to make an adaptor for the bracket you have now :)

bri likes this.
  15. dogzila Forum Member

Your tower is 0A4 type (updated 02J gearbox with different fork and gearcase). This tower can damage your fork...