02A into Mk2....

Discussion in 'Engines' started by scottymk2, Nov 20, 2005.

1. scottymk2 Forum Member

thanks for everyones posts regarding a 020 on a 16vt..

thought i would start a new thread now i know that the 02a is a better option - would be grateful if any1 can answer these questions:

1) is it true a corrado g60 rear gearbox mount will work with a golf mk2 and 02A.. also any1 know of any other standard mounts that will work/can be modded to fit

2) do i have to change my pedal box to accomodate a hydralic clutch actuator? i have heard it is a messy job.are all 02A's hydralic clutch cables and can you convert them to cable type clutch actuation?

3) do i have to change my gear selection to cable type? if so, how do i do this.. if not, what are my options for using rod selection.

4) how can this gearbox be mated to the speedo on the mk2

Pretty fundamental questions i guess, help is appreciated!

I also found this on ebay, not sure what everyone thinks? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-RACING-CLUTCH-CORRADO-G60 -GOLF-JETTA-PASSAT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQitemZ80 14160765QQrdZ1

someone said i could use a standard vr6 clutch, any info on this?

Cheers!

Scott

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I have fitted a pedal box from a Passat because that's what you need to do in order to use the hydraulic clutch system. It's not a difficult job but I did find it a little time consuming. You have to bash in part of the bulkhead so that it becomes perfectly flat so that you may then mount the hydraulic cylinder through it, having made holes which align with mounting holes on the hydraulic pedal box. Bashing the bulkhead is best done using a ball pin pein hammer (as someone else on here kindly advised me, and it worked well). The alternative option is to use a combination of Seat parts which means you can retain the cable system, so I understand, but it was easy for me to just get a Passat pedal box from the scrapyard two minutes away from me.

As far as I know you need to have a cable change gear selector box, and for this reason I've got one of these from a Corrado G60 waiting to go in.

I was also advised on here to use a VR6 clutch. I ordered a bog standard VR6 clutch from GSF and wanged it in. All fitted perfectly fine, correct size. I'll let you know in 2026 if it actually runs or not.

Cheers,

Trev

3. jprocter Forum Member

Cheers Trev good write up!!

I am going to fit a 16v cable shift box when doing my 16v conv. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the cables shift stuff and how difficult does it look to fit?

Cheers

Jonathan

4. scottymk2 Forum Member

Thanks for the advice Trev.

Do you know what parts are required to convert the clutch actuation to a clutch cable instead of hydraulic on the 02a? i have been hunting on the net and have heard one person saying they used a clutch cable from a transporter, and various others saying that they used a clutch cable actuator, and various others saying to use seat parts... but none of them are at all clear or give info as to the parts i need!

do you know how much power a vr6 clutch is good for? im looking to get 250 - 300 from my turbo engine.

Cheers

Scott

5. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

here is a list of parts used if you want use a cable operated clutch.

Clutch cable - 6K2 721 335F (Seat) - 31
    Plastic retainer for clutch cable end (6) - 6K2 721 147 (Seat) - 1.70
    Cable holder (7) - 6K2 721 397B (Seat) - 10.50
    Mount for cable gearbox end (9) - 357 199 353A (VW) - 18
    Nuts and bolts for (9):
    2 bolts M10 x 70 N0195324 (Seat)
    2 nuts M10 N01101011 (Seat)
    Clutch actuation unit (10) - 02A 141 708B (VW) - 31
    Rubber boot for unit (13) - 02A 141 728 - 4.50
    Bolts to attach (10) to gearbox are same as used for hydraulic slave
    cylinder

I used a MK2 golf clutch cable from a 1.3 MK2 I don't have the # though.

If your putting it into a MK1 use clutch cable 172 721 335D

Lee
    Edited by: King Kwik

6. jprocter Forum Member

And whats the clutch feel like on that then?

7. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

Have'nt driven the MK2 with it in.
    I used to have a MK1 G60 with a cable clutch 02A and it was fine

Lee

8. ManicGTI Forum Member

Thats got to be a FAQ worthy post...

'Converting Hydralic Clutch Box to Cable'

Top Man :clap:

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Top post king kwik :clap:
    Saves me posting yet another qstn [:$]

10. scottymk2 Forum Member

Thankyou very muchking kwik!! that is extremely helpful. what mounts did you use? mines going into a mk2.

when u change the gear selection to cable type, im assuming that the whole unit from a mk3 golf, corrado or passat just bolts in, any1 kno if its the same mounts?

also, any1 know how much a vr6 clutch can take? i would prefer to get a vr6 clutch as it would have bite and decent driveability/long life compared to paddle, but not sure if it will take the power! last thing i want is to put it all in and then have the clutch slipping!

Cheers

Scott

11. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

if you are using a hydr clutch you can use the MK2 gearbox mounts.
    If using a cable clutch you need the seat mount which looks identical but has a wee bracket to hold the end of the clutch cable.

The gear selector bolts up easy. I used the old bolts and holes to hold it in place and added a few holes and extras you'll see once under the car.

Lee

12. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

13. jprocter Forum Member

Hi,

Bene on ekta and the cables are different part number for corrado and passat (as are other bits and bobs) which ones are best to fit to a mk2 golf?

Cheers

p.s im on about chaning from rod to cable change